Pygmy Salamander Taxonomy

Jefferson

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was browsing the internet's numerous Appalachian herping posts this morning when I realized that somebody had posted a find as what they referred to as Desmognathus organi, or the Northern Pygmy Salamander. Upon further research, I realized that many scientists have now split the Pygmy Sally into a northern and southern class at the French Broad River (Just like the dividing line for Black-chinned and Blue Ridge Reds). However, naherp, the national herp site, and many other reputable sources still have the species as one. As someone who had found Pygmy Sallies north and south of the French Broad, I was wondering what everyone else thinks about this one.

I am familiar with the paper and accept the change. It's freely available from the CNAH library (file 1586.pdf).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back