Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Sick Salamandra care

JDB89

Reaction score
So one of my fire salamanders is a bit ill, some sores and a bit of bleeding. I have moved it from a moss-gravel set up with a log in it to a smaller tub with just damp paper towels and a clean rock. My idea being that it is cleaner so less likely to get more infected. Any advice on how to keep it for the best recovery? Cooler temperatures?

Sianita

Reaction score
What you have done so far is good. I'm not expert but I would say wash the wound with a little bit of bottled water if it looks dirty. Keep him on paper towel with just a hide and shallow water dish. I'm not sure about medications as such, or even if there are any but I experienced a sick sal.
My wee guy had a small wound on the inside of his thigh which then turned into a hole. He became very dull and wasn't eating as he did previously. His skin sloughed off his leg, and I could see right through his leg :( I honestly thought either he was going to die or lose his leg. I kept him in a small tub with damp paper towel, 1 hide and a shallow water dish. Kept him cool and in a quiet room and fed him every 2 days as much as he would take. Checked on him everyday and sure enough about 3ish months later the leg was healing, the hole had gone and he became his old self :D
It's astonishing how these amazing little creatures can heal themselves!
I would just advise getting as much help and info from the lovely people on here and keep him cool, calm and in a sterile environment. And don't give up hoping :)
Fingers crossed for you and the wee one!

JDB89

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in replying, my laptop has been a bit argumental. I am afraid the poor wee thing died yesterday. I went to take some photos as requested and found the sores to be much more extensive than I thought (the trouble with wet dark skin). They were round 'holes' that looked like a bacterial infection. I am now keeping a close eye on my other ones in case it comes up again so I can act faster, though as I keep them individually I am hoping it will not.

Thanks for the concern.

Sianita

Reaction score
Aw I'm sorry to hear that! It's hard to lose any of these awesome little creatures and I remember how upset I was when I lost my first 1 :( it's a shame you aren't able to know conclusively what it died from but as you say the others are isolated, they will hopefully be ok :) good luck with the rest of the little ones :) x

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!