Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Internal organ coming out??

tiggie

Reaction score
Morning all,

I'm currently looking after an axie from my local pet shop where my friend works - something has been coming out of his tummy.

I think it looks intestine-like. You know how people and animals can get umbilical hernia's? (part of the intestine sticks out of the belly button and needs surgery to be put right) Well I think this is what he might have.

I've had him since Friday (now Tuesday) and over the weekend it's come out a little bit more until Sunday when it was fully out and on the bottom of the tank.

I had put some blood worms in the tank and he didn't eat them until it had fallen out.
Since then, he's had 1 cube of blood worms a day and eaten it all every time. He's also pooped since then as I had him in a clear tank with nothing on the bottom so I could monitor his progress.

I've now put him in with my own Axie to see how he goes. But I'm weary of giving him back to the pet shop to sell as I don't know exactly what happened and it would be, in my opinion, unfair to sell an Axie to someone without knowing if he's going to live long.

I've attached a photo of him when I first got him, then a photo of it further out. (the stuff stuck to the end are blood worms, btw)

Annoyingly, I forgot to take a photo of the intestine thing once it had fallen out!!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Attachments

• WP_20131024_007[1].jpg
    WP_20131024_007[1].jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 539
  • WP_20131025_002[1].jpg
    WP_20131025_002[1].jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 727
  • WP_20131025_003[1].jpg
    WP_20131025_003[1].jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 323

Bellabelloo

Julia
Staff member
Reaction score
What has he been fed in the pet shop? I am hoping it is something that it had partially digested and he managed to pass it. If it was a prolapse then I would be really worried :(. I would keep him in cool clean water by himself and monitor closely for a few weeks before potentially returning him.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
I believe it is a she... That is weird, I thought I saw eyeballs and no it is not a baby but likely something it ate. I would cat the place too find out what was fed.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1