Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello, axolotl help please

lotllove

Reaction score
Hey so I joined this forum because I need help. I have two axolotls but they each have some health issue that I don't know how to handle and I have not found any threads that have an issue like mine. I have posted all the information on my blog so If you have any knowledge please read it and help me. I would be eternally grateful!

emmyk

Reaction score
Hi. I can't see your blog but if you can copy and paste it here id be happy to help.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Blog post is as follows:
Hey, I'm new to the site and if I do anything wrong please let me know but I need some help with 2 of my axolotls.
#1: Sawney
this little guy is in the worst condition and I need help soon or I'm afraid he won't make it. He is about 2 inches long, albino, severely bloated and constipated (he can't really stay at the bottom of his tank so it is tilted so he can touch the bottom if he wants). I have tried the three days in the fridge but no success. It also seems as if he has some fungus growing around his gills so I have started to give him salt baths in order to solve that issue. He is also missing a leg but has managed very well and seems to be growing back just fine. He still swims around and has a big appetite but I don't feed him too much for fear he will explode. He also has something wrong with the tip of his tail, not sure if it was ripped and grew back funny, or he has anchor worms or if it's the fungus.
#2: Bean
Bean is a 4-5 inch Melanoid and has a dislocated/broken leg. He limps when he walk-swims and it hangs at a strange angle. The shoulder still works because he tries to swim with it but the rest of the limb is unresponsive. This makes it difficult for him to swim and turn around. I have left it alone for several weeks hoping it would heal itself, so far no such luck. I don't have much experience with these guys and would prefer to not cut the limb off myself for fear of hurting him. He still has a fantastic appetite and other than the arm he seems fine.

They are housed separately in foot by foot by foot tanks until I can get them all healed and better. The room is hardly ever at 70 (f) (the highest maybe 72?) but, it tends to stay around 68 degrees. There is no substrate in their tanks for them to swallow. Sawney however was in a tank for a day or so that had some fine sand, but I don't think that could cause his stomach issues. I am at my wits ends and just don't know what to do so any help would be a blessing! Unfortunately I'm having issues getting the pictures up, but hopefully I will have some up tomorrow.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
At 2 inches long, fine sand very well could be Sawney's issue. What kind of food are you offering?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1