What Is the Best/Cheapest Filter For Axolotls?

I like the Eheim ecco external cannister filters because they have a nice gentle turnover rate thats easy to diffuse and are nearly silent. The cheapest filters i have are the air driven sponge ones, again they dont cause much water disturbance but theres no intake strainer so they are safe to use with larvae.

We have a tetra cannister (tec 600), quiet and efficient. We adapted ours with a spray bar to reduce current.
IMHO it's worth paying a little extra for a quiet one.

I have a TopFin 20 HOB on my tank right now. Cost me around 27 bucks and it runs just fine.

Just remember that you get what you pay for. I've run the gammut on filters, from cheap sponge filters to large canister filters.

Right now, I'm running no filters on my axolotls. They just get regular water changes and an air stone. I am seeding a large sponge filter for my 80gal though.

I'll try a sponge filter maybe and just do water changes and later on upgrade to a canister filter
Any more recommendations?

This guy is really great for the DIY filters. cheapest of cheap, DIY sponge filter! He has other videos for DIY canister filters, but you wanted the cheapest, so I did my best to deliver. I'm not an expert by any means, so if anyone sees what this guy says and disagrees, please add your input! :3

HOW TO: cheap and simple DIY aquarium filter - YouTube

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back