Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Beyond the deli dishes...

elfelty

Reaction score
My beautiful babies are growing so fast! At first I kept them in large rubbermaid containers separated by size so the slow growers wouldn't be eaten. Then they moved up to their own little worlds in 3x4" deli containers so no nibbling would occur. I feel like they're not too happy now being in such a small place now that they're all nearing 3" in length themselves.

They've got room to swim up and stretch out and are eating like crazy! I thought I'd be able to find them homes by now, but I really don't have the room to move them all to bigger tubs without taking over the entire house. Any ideas on how to find them homes faster or keep them happy as they are? They're so cute and I'm loving seeing them grow, but I know they deserve better.:confused:

SariYappa

Reaction score
Where in the US are you?

Do you have an ad in the For sale section?
Do you have larger containers you can use? Maybe a large tank where they can all cohabitate?
We hAve a store named 'Big Lots' that has cheap plastic containers and tubs of all sizes...

If ypu are near sc, i may be interested in one :rolleyes:

Pictures?

elfelty

Reaction score
I'm actually in the midst of cleaning their containers right now, but I'll post pics very soon. I do have an ad in the FS section with pictures. I have some bigger containers I could use but I'm leery of putting them together right now as they're still in the very bitey phase. I sold most of the eggs from this batch and kept a few. Well it turned out that the sponge filters that my lady laid them on were hiding more than I thought and then only one tiny runt died, so I was left with more than I bargained for. I didn't have any trouble with bbs and they're all eating blood worms and little bits of earthworm now.

On a side note: Momma was a very dark wild type, nearly indistinguishable from my melanoid and Dad was a white albino. The babies all have very translucent tails (I know, they're young) and a lot of the iridescence I love, even their gills are pink and sparkly. They're personalities are what is so funny, some will practically beg like puppies for food, and some will hide and then come out and snap up the worm and go back to the corner looking away.:D

Some are noticeably more jumpy than others which I think is funny because their momma is a very active swimmy/floaty axolotl and Dad is what we call a creeper. I'm probably way over-thinking this. :rolleyes:

auntiejude

Reaction score
I have exactly the same problem - a higher survival rate than expected! And I also found a cluster of eggs in the tank that had been hidden inside and ornament :eek: that I had to keep just for their tenacity :D

I have sold some eggs, I have someone waiting for a baby when they have 4 legs, but I also approached my 2 local pet stores and asked if they were intersted. One said they'd take half a dozen, the other is small chain and said they'd take 25-30. I'll probably advertise here too. I just have to raise them to about 3-4".

I don't know what on-line communities you have over thre, but over here there are loads of ads on ebay and preloved.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
I thought I'd be able to find them homes by now

I have exactly the same problem - a higher survival rate than expected!

Please spread the word about why people shouldn't try to raise all 1,000 eggs their axolotls lay!

If you have an overabundance, try working out an agreement with your local pet shop. I sold about half my offspring online and half to the pet shop (trade for feeder rats for the snakes).

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1