Over Weight Axie???

Trixie557

Reaction score
Country
United States
So Aztec is.... a bit more plump then Eclipse or Mayan...

Can Axies be overweight?

I wont lie, I feed them worms 5-6 days a week (as many as they'll eat and I hand feed so everyone gets full) and shrimp pellets the other 1-2 days. They are probably 6 - 6 1/2" Maybe? :confused:

(Also Aztec was the Axie who I swore was going to die when we switched tanks 3-4 weeks ago, lost ALL his gill fringe, was floating, having all sorts of issues, somehow he puled through and is thriving! Just worried he's thriving TOO MUCH! LOL)

Attachments

• DSCN0636.jpg
    DSCN0636.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,054
  • DSCN0631.jpg
    DSCN0631.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 419
He looks fine to me. But to answer your question, yes axolotls can get fat. Once they start hitting 6 or 7 months old, that's when you have to start cutting back a little with their diet. I feed mine every other day with nightcrawlers and shrimp pellets, and so far he's healthy and maintaining a normal weight. He's around 6 months old right now. Once they hit 9 months and up, you can feed them a couple days out of the week.

He looks fine to me!
You may well find that females get plumper than males as they mature - and more pear-shaped.

My axies are 9" and I still feed them every day - just one worm each. If you like feeding them every day you can cut down the amount you feed them rather than how often. Or you can feed them every other day with more food - it's up to you.

A good guide for a 'healthy' weight is to try to get their tummy the same width as their head.

If their tummy is wider than their head, cut back. If their tummy is thinner, feed more :D

As stated above though females may be a bit shorter and plumper

Thinking about it, Auntiejude's way of feeding is probably a better option when there's more than one axolotl in a tank. Depending on their personalities, and what they're used to doing, they might get a little nippy with their tankmates if they aren't fed regularly. I don't have that problem because I only have my one little guy.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back