Think I have a small salmander

Phyllis

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in Liverpool and my daughter has found what I think is a salamander in her living room which has direct access to the garden.
It is only quite small but i dont think its a newt - think newts are more shinier??

I have managed to keep it alive for the past 4 weeks or so but I would like to know more about it and whether I am doing right by it.

I have given it small crickets and some small insects from my garden - I have not seen it eat but it has shed its skin once and is looking okay

I have provided it with a pot with water in and some sand with some bark (what you put in orchid plant pots) and I do spray it most days It has been in the water but seems to prefer to stay on the bark

I havent tried to handle it but would like to know if there is a way of telling if its a boy or a girl and if I could actually introduce more into the tank

Its quite plain really - kinda brown and not very big

Have a look at the link below and see if it looks like any of those. Could you also take a photo of it and its home so we can see please? :D

@ bellabelloo, I don't see a link below :happy:. in regards to the salamander I'm not sure what it is but its good its eating. it may like some worms if you have any to offer. but if you use pesticides, weed killers and the like I wouldn't get worms for it, as this may cause harm to it. I hope this helps! -Seth

Hi
There are no native salamanders to the UK. It is most likely a newt, probably a Lissotriton Vulgaris which is commonly known as the Smooth Newt OR it may be a Great Crested Newt (Triturus Cristatus) which means you are going against the law by handling it. If it is a Great Crested Newt (dark black-brown on top with a bright yellowish belly with dark spots) you must release it. Smooth Newts are a lighter brown-orange with a light yellow or light orange belly but I would still release it because wild caught amphibians don't eat very well so it may die. It does sound more like a Smooth Newt though.
If you are going to keep it, small earthworms (not from a place near pesticides as sde said) or very small crickets. But I think it may die if you keep it, the correct thing to do would probably be to release it near a pond nearby. :happy:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back