Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Illness/Sickness: Axolotl escaped and bad skin help! college student

AshSeek

Reaction score
A friend's axolotl escaped from his tank, they do not know how long he was left out but he put his axie back into the tank but i went and took a look at him and he is very pink (the axolotl is a pink leucistic) but now he is much darker and has some dry spots, he looks like he has shrunk up a bit...
I remember reading something about a tea-bath before but I need to know what to do for him so I can help the owner (who knows less about axis than I) on how to help his baby recover?

Try to keep in mind he is a college student and if there is anything that helps with a low price, would be very helpful.

Thank you

GreerDalrymple

Reaction score
Tea baths are only good if the axolotl has no fungus/infections, as I believe it helps deal over the skin. If it looks at all infected, maybe try some salt baths, or keep him in the fridge as it slows their metabolism right down & will keep him alive longer until you find something else. Sorry I'm not much help, there is a salt bath tutorial in the sick axolotl forum at the top
Goodluck

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Thank you! how do you know if they are infected?

Usually if it's a fungal infection, there will be cloudy white patches in the affected areas. If nothing else, you can float some almond leaves in the tank, and this should help ward off any infections and help the skin recover.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Indian almond leaves are really good. Keep the axolotl cool and in fresh clean water. Only do salt baths if the axolotl has fungus, otherwise it's skin will get worse.

AshSeek

Reaction score
Are almond leaves okay to use if he has another axis in the tank (unharmed)? or will he have to separate them?

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
Are almond leaves okay to use if he has another axis in the tank (unharmed)? or will he have to separate them?

The almond leaves won't harm the other axolotl at all. But just to be on the safe side, I would get the injured axolotl into a separate container so it is easier to monitor, and so you can give it tea baths easier.

AshSeek

Reaction score
thanks guys unfortunately he died soon after I posted this for my friend but I wasn't aware of this until today. Thank you so much for the help.

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
I'm sorry to hear that. :(
I didn't ask this earlier, but does your friend have a lid for the axolotls' tank? If not, you might want to suggest one, so this can be avoided in the future.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1