Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

New axie what is wrong with it?! Floats to the side too often

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
Water parameters are fine 0,0,40 and temp is at 17.0 c

He is new and because he is quite little i try not to use an aerator near him. The tank is split in two. An adult lives beside him but cannot cross.

He constantly floats. Sometime the bubble is gone and then he is on the bottom but today it is a huge bubble or something i am hoping it is not bacteria related. There seems to be a growing film of oil or something on his side of the tank. At first i assumed it was the bloodworms but it is slowly still there. My other axies never floated like this. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 980

willowcat

Reaction score
Can you see the bubble in its stomach? If you can, I have had this issue twice now. I am on my second now, as we speak. I put it in a separate container. A plastic shoebox. Or whatever. Water is very shallow, so it can eat off the bottom, upside down. It took my first one forever to get rid of the bubble. I would definitely get rid of the aerator. Grab a chair, popcorn, a good movie, because this is going to take a long time.

HitmanSougo13

Reaction score
I definitely do this time the bubble is massive! Previously I have seen him with 2 or three mini ones. I have now put him in a tiny temporary tank which is what I have done before too except I would like this sad pattern to stop. :(. Is it seriously the aerator? Basically the aerator is in the adult side and the grid between them is plexiglass has lots of holes around 2mm x 2mm. I don't visually see the bubbles go across as they seem to pop when they hit the grid. I know my adult wants the air. Does the water contain micro bubbles from the aerator? Thank you for any advice!

willowcat

Reaction score
I am pretty sure it is caused from feeding. I do not think it is the result of the aerator. Mine get air bubbles in a non-aeratored shoe box. The aerator causes current. Current is not good for Axies. Is the aerator inside of a sponge filter? Sponge filters are okay. If it is in a sponge filter then the column is usually high enough to minimize the amount of current. Just leave live foods(blackworms), they don't spoil the water, with him. Shallow as you can get. Keep him by himself.
Good luck.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1