Question: Fridge my Axolotls whilst tank cycling????

Bambi

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi, I have done tonnes of research on this but can't really find the exact answers I'm looking for.... I knows people say to fridge your Axys when they are sick, but what about if you are just doing a tank cycle and you want them to be safe away from high ammonia/nitrate levels? I live in Australia and it is quite hot atm so rather than have them sitting in buckets I've placed them into 3 separate plastic containers with lids and into the fridge. They have pillow cases over them to block the light, I'm just concerned the fridge temp fluctuates a bit depending on time of day and wether it is being used much... Can anyone tell me if it's ok to have my 3 Axys the fridge while I try to cycle my tank?

Also if anyone knows ways to speed up the cycling that would be greatly appreciated.... It had the Axolotls in it for 2 months so there was ammonia at 2ppm in there and I've just started dropping frozen brineshrimp in there to keep up the ammonia levels, but nitrite has stayed the same at 0 reading....

Do you have a chiller in your tank? If the tub temp is the same as your tank temp your shouldn't have to worry about fridging them. Fridging them slows their metabolism. It isn't bad for them but it isn't good. Is there a colder place in the house you can put them? A basement?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

If you had posted in the 'tanks etc' section you might have got a quicker reply.
Fridging your axies is stressful, you should only do it when they are sick, and its supposed to be around 8-10C rather than the normal 3-5C in an average fridge. If you have a cool spot in the house that would be best.
You can get quick start liquid or pearls to speed up your cycling, speak to your LFS.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back