Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Disinfecting between enclosures?

roguemako

Reaction score
When tending to my newts/sals (feeding, removing waste, misting, etc), what should I use to disinfect my hands between the enclosures as to not spread anything around or cross contaminate? Hand sanitizer? Antibacterial soap? Something else? What will be good to disinfect my hands, but not harm the animals?

JoshBA

Reaction score
I just rinse my hands with really hot water.
Hand sanitizer should work well, as its just alcohol so will evaporate pretty quickly (although you still should rinse your hands under water after this to remove any possible residue).

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Soap and water with hands well rinsed. Use of separate equipment is advisable if it comes in contact with the animal(s) or their environment. If the enclosures are in the same room, there will be some degree of potential air-borne contamination.

roguemako

Reaction score
What should be used to disinfect hands after dealing with a potentially sick animal?

evut

Reaction score
General advice about hand washing is that the most important thing is to really scrub them for several minutes, the choice of product doesn't matter as much. Just make sure you use a good hand cream after you finish with the animals, otherwise such hand washing can really damage your skin.

Jan

Site Contributor
Reaction score
What should be used to disinfect hands after dealing with a potentially sick animal?
If you are handling the animal and worried about cross contamination to another enclosure/animal, you can use well-rinsed vinyl non-powdered gloves and discard after each use. Latex and other types of disposable gloves may not be suitable: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-...57402-disposable-gloves-toxic-amphibians.html

For hand washing Eva is right. It doesn't matter what product you use. What matters is the mechanical action of scrubbing that removes microbes. Lather and scrub all hand surfaces including between fingers, back of hands, wrists, under nails, etc. for a minimum of 20 seconds.

roguemako

Reaction score
Would hand sanitizer (with ethyl alcohol) be safe to use between enclosures? I would not be directly handling the animals, just routine checking the enclosures and such.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
As long as it contains no added ingredients and you allow it to dry fully, it should be fine.

roguemako

Reaction score
So it would have to be pure ethyl alcohol? Cause I am almost certain all hand sanitizers have other ingredients, the ethyl is just the active one.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1