Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Archimedes has a lump on his side?

kedakin94

Reaction score
We've had Archimedes and Jarvis for about 2 weeks now, and while feeding them yesterday, we noticed that Archimedes had this lump on his side. Can anyone help identify what it is and whether we need to do anything about it?

Sent from my Arc using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1383816422638.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1383816422638.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 391

kedakin94

Reaction score
It might help to know that he is a few months old, and we're feeding them on ox heart at the moment until we can get some earthworms (we did try them on bloodworms, but they both refused to eat those and heart was easy for me to get hold of through my job). He eats fine and doesn't appear to be in any discomfort.

layna

Reaction score
There current food is too fatty for them, id buy some pellets for the time being if you cant source any worms, if an axie is hungry he will eat, if you only offered them bloodworms they will eventually take them, was it a frozen cube? if so you need to defrost them first :D

You can get worms online from yorkshire worms or worms direct in the uk and pellets from exotic pets online or they have a store on ebay

Last edited:

kedakin94

Reaction score
Yeah, we have frozen bloodworm cubes... Do you feed the worms individually or drop a couple into the tank at a time? We tried both ways at first, but ended up just taking them all of out the tank after 30/40 minutes because they hadn't been touched.

layna

Reaction score
If theyre frozen, then just defrost them and drop a few on their heads, they should snap at them if they see them moving :D

kedakin94

Reaction score
Ooh that looks like a nice clean way of feeding them! We shall try dropping the bloodworms on their heads first and see if that works, and maybe invest in a Turkey baster and a feeding bowl. Thanks for the link!

snuggly time

Reaction score
Feeding jars work well too. Just squirt them into a simple glass jar, it stops the bloodworm from being kicked around the tank.

snuggly time

Reaction score
Yeah if the axie fits in it. This is mine, although Wooper hardly fits in it anymore so I removed it. Plus he loves his earthworms which aren't messy.

Attachments

• IMG_0787.jpg
    IMG_0787.jpg
    314 KB · Views: 221
  • IMG_0826.jpg
    IMG_0826.jpg
    345.7 KB · Views: 222

kedakin94

Reaction score
Awh he's so cute! Especially in the second photo! Jarvis and Archimedes are still only about 10-12cm long so finding a jar big enough shouldn't be too hard yet :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

snuggly time

Reaction score
Awh he's so cute! Especially in the second photo! Jarvis and Archimedes are still only about 10-12cm long so finding a jar big enough shouldn't be too hard yet :)

You won't believe how fast they grow! I got that jar from asda for like £2 if you ever need a bigger jar. :wacko:

kedakin94

Reaction score
I shall go and have a look on their website in a minute in that case :) How long was it before yours grew out of the jar in the picture?

kedakin94

Reaction score
Fab, thanks! Worth getting for a pound even if they don't end up using it really. :)
Ah so we have a few months to go yet, we think they're around 3/4 months old at the moment!

layna

Reaction score
You can also just use a bowl, if you cant find a suitable jar, its only whilst they are on blood worms.
Now mine are on earthworms i either use reptile tweezers to lower it above their head of i use the turkey baster the suck it up and drop it on their head hehe.
Two of the best pieces of equipment you can have with axies is a gravel cleaner/siphon and a turkey baster! :D
feedingjar.jpg

This was my bowl so they didnt fight in a jar hehe :p

kedakin94

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice! We tried them with a bowl this evening when they were fed and it worked! Which we found odd considering they didn't want to touch the bloodworms beforehand haha. Very happy it did work though :)

I do have a video of it, but for some reason it won't let me upload it ):

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!