Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Automatic heat/cooling regulator

NexSocius

Reaction score
Ello!
I live in a hot part of Australia, and as we get more into summer, I've been thinking about trying an automatic temperature controller in my tank.
I'm getting my first lotl tomorrow, and at the moment the weather isn't too bad. The max I've seen my tank is 23 deg C, and lowest 19 deg C. This is without an external fan blowing on the top.

I found this on ebay: ATC 300 Digital Water Chiller Aquarium Temperature Controller W Timer | eBay
and am very tempted to buy one to try it. Has anyone tried these and are they worth getting/reliable?
In a few more weeks, our weather is due to hit the high 30's - 40's. (95-104 F). My room gets very hot - I have a fan, but I cannot install air conditioning.
Also I work full time, so there's 9 or so hours a day that I cannot monitor my baby.
Currently the tank is sitting on a half inch thick sheet of polystyrene foam, which I read can help insulate against heat.
Thanks in advance :D

layna

Reaction score
I dont know about chillers in general but chillers are pretty much a necessity in hot places as axies dont like to be above 20C because then the problems start :(
Unless you want to go down the ice bottle route then id invest in a chiller but if you do a search in the forum for "chillers" im sure there will be several posts discussing all aspects of them hehe :D
Have you cycled your tank already?

auntiejude

Reaction score
Having looked at the product you have suggested it is a thermometer with an alarm that connects to a heater/cooler system. It doesn't have any actual heating or cooling sytem itself.

If you buy a proper chiller (and you're talking $100s) it should have a thermostat built in.

NexSocius

Reaction score
Thanks for the help :eek:
I'm picking up my new baby in the morning, and to play it safe I'll use the frozen bottle technique until I can save up for a proper chiller. My sis-inlaw has offered to check the temp for me on hot days until I can upgrade which is a big help.
I looked at the prices of chillers, ouchies! They will be a good investment for my baby's health though :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1