Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mystery

Ai

Reaction score
Hi!
I wrote some time ago about my 9 month old wild type axie that i found one day freaking out, he was swimming in circles to the left and with a curved body. When he stopped he stayed with his body curved and tilting/leaning.
I did water changes every fourth day before this to.

All of this got better pretty soon, i cleaned the intire tank and everything in it. Then started recycle it with daily 30% water changes and cleaning.
He started eating soon after that but had to struggle with the food the first couple of days.
Then he started eating normal again.

It's been about three weeks, so far he's eating and pooping like normal. But i've never seen him swim to the surface after this. He doesn't move mutch, and always lays on his left side.
If something scares him he swims around the tank but has problem staying with the right side up, he gets upside down. Sometimes he ends up upside down to.

The other two axies are still great, one got bitten but the wound healed well in just a couple of days. So it indicates that water conditions are great. I also checks the water parameters every third day or so to.

The other day he started swimming around on circles again with a curved body. I took him out and he is now in a separate tub, completely dark. He is still eating.

I got in contact with a great woman that's housing a lot of axolotls and she thinks it's some neurological desease that just struck him. But had theorys about parasites to and recommended that i'd treat him with ektozon for parasites. But people here didn't think i should do that.

So i don't really know what to do except going about with the regular rutine!?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 201

Ai

Reaction score
He always lays like this, never straight.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 184

PatchworkClocks

Reaction score
People were right in telling you not to use ektozon. The problem with using that kind of medication on an axolotl is that axolotls aren't fish. The medicine was designed based on fish, which have scales to protect their skin. This means that the medicine can usually be made in such a way that there is the most potency possible, which won't harm a fish because it can't damage their skin. Because axolotls don't have scales, and their skin is VERY permeable, medication like that tends to do more harm than good.

If at all possible, you need to take your axolotl to an experienced exotic vet. They can help you determine what the problem is, and give you a course of action to follow.

Ai

Reaction score
Ok thank's. It's hard to find vets like that here but i'll give it my best try. Feels kind of hopeless but i won't give up yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!