Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Amphibian taxidermy

nephiarising

Reaction score
I'm interested in preserving my pets when they pass but I'm not really too familiar with taxidermy in amphibians. I know you can use alcohol and mason jars, but I've heard that the liquid can get cloudy. I'd also love to collect other specimens - so if anyone has any dead herps, please PM me if you'd be willing to let me buy them off of you.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've preserved dead herps in ethyl alcohol and haven't had any problems with the liquid getting cloudy. I use Everclear, which is drinkable 95% ethyl alcohol.

froggy

Site Contributor
Reaction score
You can get fats leaching out of the animal eventually, but you can easily remove the animal from the jar, change the alcohol and replace it if you want it to look crystal clear and clean. Very large animals (e.g. adult tiger salamander) can be injected with alcohol as well as immersed to ensure rapid preservation.

Jen, where on earth do you get drinkable 95% alcohol?! I assume its drinkable in that it doesn't have methanol in it, I'm sure it isn't all that palatable!

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
Chris, you buy it at the liquor store. Everclear is illegal in some areas, but it's pretty widely available.

Thanassi07

Reaction score
To actually taxidermy an amphibian (from what I've heard) is difficult, you either have to create a mold or freeze-dry it I believe. But for cheap, you can just get a (Glass!) jar and fill it with alcohol. I use 91% Isopropyl Alchohol but any concentration of isopropyl alcohol above 70% works. Also some other kinds of alcohol work like ethyl alcohol. The preservative will corrode away plastic jars, btw color fades 100% of the time if you create a wet specimen (like in a jar).

Creekratt

Reaction score
To actually taxidermy an amphibian (from what I've heard) is difficult, you either have to create a mold or freeze-dry it I believe. But for cheap, you can just get a (Glass!) jar and fill it with alcohol. I use 91% Isopropyl Alchohol but any concentration of isopropyl alcohol above 70% works. Also some other kinds of alcohol work like ethyl alcohol. The preservative will corrode away plastic jars, btw color fades 100% of the time if you create a wet specimen (like in a jar).
I've heard there is an additive for the alcohol to step the color leaching out.Not sure which type of alcohol. It wasn't mentioned. I used isopropyl (forget which strength) to preserve a Greyband King snake. It pulled every bit of the beautiful brilliant pumpkin orange out of the animal. The band is totally white now. I've searched high/ low for the additive online, every site you could imagine. Everything to published works to your general hobbyist and found nothing. If anyone has info on this, please share. Thanx in advance.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1