Gibbs doesn't seem to be getting any better

fowlowl

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I came back from holiday a little over a week ago to find that one of our axolotls was looking a little bit ropey. He has had white, irridescent spots on his tail since he arrived, but I noticed that this had gotten worse whilst we were away and some of his gills had the white in them too. I had a good read on here and other sites and came to the conclusion that this was a fungal infection. We have been following the fridging and salt bath guide on here very carefully. He has been in for a week but doesn't seem to be getting any better. He was having one salt bath a day, but we have now upped it to two. We have been using rock salt and doing our best to ensure that is is fully dissolved. We have now started on aquarium salt too.

He hasn't eaten either, but from what I've read this is normal and nothing to be too concerned about.

Do fungal infections usually take this long to go away? I feel so sorry for him being away form his tank and mate :(

Any advice would be greatly received. I can get some photographs if this would be of use.

Thank you in advance x

Were the spots under the skin? If so, it's normal for them to be there and you don't need to be doing salt baths. Fungus usually looks cottony or cloudy white. Get some pictures so it can be determined for certain if this is fungal or normal coloration.

Thanks.

I have attached a photo of his gills, I think the spots are okay, I'm just unsure about the gills. I wouldn't say I've seen any cottony, cloudy looking stuff.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    34.2 KB · Views: 173
Stop with the salt and fridge. The shiney bits are iridophores and part of the axie's colouring - they are supposed to be there. You are trying to wash freckles off!

Axies sometimes don't eat when they've been in the fridge, he should regain his appetite once you have acclimatised him and and put him back in his tank.

Yes, those are normal. Golden albinos are well-known for their shiny iridophores. :p

Oh my poor little baby!!!!!! :(

We have started to reintegrate him. He will back in with his chum soon!!!

Phew! What a relief!

Thank you for your advice. This site is amazing!!!

xx

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back