Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Hello from SE MI

linuxrulesusa

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Dan. I joined the site about 10 days ago but hadn't gotten around to posting here yet.

My first interest with amphibians was fire bellied toads. I picked up two along with a reptile setup back in early 2012. Unfortunately, by the end of 2012 both of those had escaped . I have two small children, so I would not be shocked if they let them out.

During that time I also raised some leopard frogs and fire bellied toads from the tadpole stage to being adults. The few that survived were given away because I didn't have room to keep them all, since I also keep lots of kinds of fish - currently about 8 tanks and 175 gallons, down from about 20 tanks and 500 gallons at the end of 2012.

I've been temped to get tree frogs or other similar frogs a few times but neither my wife nor I are all that interested in dealing with escaped crickets again.

After that long break from amphibians, I finally got back in. I had been fascinated by axolotls but they were never for sale locally. But last month I found a few at a local all species fish club auction last month. I picked up a wild type and an albino, both around 3-3.5". Then a little over a week ago, I saw that another Caudata forum member, Margie from Washington State, was selling leucistic axolotls. Since they were the variety I really wanted to go for long term, I ordered six from her and they arrived last Thursday. I plan to keep 2-3 of them and am in the process of finding homes for the rest.

On Saturday at another all species fish club auction I saw a pair of red spotted newts. I was fortunate to run into the people who were selling them who gave me tips on their care. I picked up that pair and am in the process of emptying out a bookshelf style fish tank (long and shallow) for them to use.

So, for now, I plan to stick with the wild type and leucistic axolotls as I grow them out from about 3" to adulthood, and then see what happens as far as growth and breeding with the pair of red spotted newts.

I've found a lot of great advice and information about the various species on here and hope to learn more going forward.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1