Male or female?

Danimorse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To my knowledge my beautiful axie is 10 months old ish.. He (I say he because that's what I've been calling him the past 6 months) has just started to appear to have slowly darkening toe tips and I'm now pretty convinced he is actually a she.. What do you think? Could he develop late? Thanks guys :D

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 203
Kind of looks like mine, I'm in the same situation. I've been calling Stanley he. To my knowledge they can develop quite late, I wouldn't give up calling him a he until he's older:p

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

So far, it looks more female than male. But, it is true that some are just late bloomers. Wait until it's around a year or so, then you should be able to tell for certain which gender it is.

Contrary to popular belief dark toe tips are not a reliable indicator of maturity.

Text books say maturity is reached anywhere between 8 and 18 months, but much is dependant on actual size. Nutrition, tank conditions and history can all play a part in when your axie reaches maturity too.

How big is your axie? If it is over 8" I would probably say she's a girl, under 8" and it could still go either way.

Female in my opinion. I am not experienced with axis but I have seen dozens of A. gracile, and in my opinion it looks like a female. Honestly though 10 months is way to soon to determine the gender accurately. I would wait another 5 months at least to try and determine the gender. Just my opinion. -Seth

Just gave him a measure(so difficult haha) and I think he's about 7 inches, so not 8 inches yet. I guess I can only wait, and time will tell!

I was curious about the sex of my axie too, had a quick measure and he's about 5 1/2 inches.. I've a long way to go yet!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back