Does something seem wrong?

hannahll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hannah
This thread fits into a couple categories, so try to stay with me. First of all, i have one leucistic that is a year old and a golden albino that is roughly 6 months old.
Recently, i've been moving things around my tank every couple of days because i have this whiteish algae on the sides of my tank and when i scrub it, it comes right off. The water is very clear and the parameters are perfect (as i just checked today) and the temperature stays around 62°F.
Another reason i've been cleaning is because i have what i believe are Copepods. I've read these are good in reef tanks, but how about freshwater? There aren't too many, probably less than a hundred (or so i think).
Lastly, as i know my axolotls are probably stressed from this, but one looks much happier and is much more active- this is not normal. I'm wondering if the whole "curled tail" thing applies to my adult axolotl because that is what she has been doing a lot lately.
Here are some pictures of the two as of today:
hannahll-albums-cheese-toothless-picture31367-imag1975.jpg

this is cheese, he is a happy lotl :)
hannahll-albums-cheese-toothless-picture31368-imag1977.jpg

this is toothless. she's usually not in the back like that :( i wish she would move around more

The curled tail thing applies to the very tip of their tail being curled, so I wouldn't worry about that. Looks like cute and healthy lotls.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Algae can maintained by reducing light exposure. Also, a clean tank with no left over food will also help to get rid of it.
My tank has just had an algae bloom because my axolotl has been in a tub in another room. I had pretty much abandoned the usual habits of keeping sunlight from the tank, so the algae has thrived. I bet it has reduced by next week now the tank is covered up again since I returned the axolotl today.

:happy:

the room they're in isn't right by the window... maybe 10 feet away but the sun lights up the entire room.. so how would i fix that?

the room they're in isn't right by the window... maybe 10 feet away but the sun lights up the entire room.. so how would i fix that?

Curtains! If you don't mind the room being a bit gloomy, you can get some sunlight-blocking curtains for your windows. You could also drape some towels or a blanket over the tank during the day (assuming you have a way to keep the water cool; sunlight will heat up the material and thus the tank will also become a bit warmer).

I hang towels over my tank because it's near the window. If it's a sunny day I wet the towels to keep the tank cooler. :happy:

It could be the aloe residue if you use a dechlorinator with aloe in it, sometimes if i accidentally use too much, then i rub the wall a few days later, the white stuff flakes off and floats around the tank, just a suggestion.
Im assuming your tank is already cycled. Like others have said, algae needs light to grow, so make it dark :p

It could be the aloe residue if you use a dechlorinator with aloe in it, sometimes if i accidentally use too much, then i rub the wall a few days later, the white stuff flakes off and floats around the tank, just a suggestion.
Im assuming your tank is already cycled. Like others have said, algae needs light to grow, so make it dark :p

YES!! IT IS PROBABLY THE ALOE. You are amazing. But also a problem with light.Thank you guys

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back