Question: Fridging my Axie

shazza

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Sharon
I was going thru our list of things to do for cyclone season. We have a large generator that is wired to the house and runs everything. But my chiller attached to the tank doesnt seem to like it.

When we had a large cyclone come thru about 2 years ago (Yasi for the Aussies) we were without mains and water for bit over a week. I have a 1000lt tank which we use as emergency water.

Now its the first season we have had with Pablo. his tank will bump up to 30+deg in an hour without a chiller. Which is set at 21deg. I have our spare fridge outside that only gets used for parties etc. If i turn the temp to the highest it will go would he be ok there for a week. (if the need arises) Icebricks dont last more than couple hours here. would he be ok with such a temp jump.

And would every second day be ok if we have water ration? My pets are my extra kids. All other animals we can organize and the geni runs all the filters sumps etc for my fish tanks so they are no worries. But the axie has his special needs. (cold water).

As stated just planning. Hopefully we go through this season with no dramas.
TIA for the advise. :eek:

First of all, you should probably set your chiller to somewhere around 18C. 21C is on the high end of an axolotl's comfort zone. As long as the fridge you plan on using doesn't get below 8C, it will be fine.

It should be okay to change water every other day as long as you go and clean out any droppings or mess there might be.

Yeah with the humidity it run all day non stop, so it was a hsppu medium. He has been living with that temp almost a year, and he came from a tank thay was bout 26 deg. in our cooler mths it runs naturally at about 19 deg. and pablo pretty much shut down. Back in summer and he is back to his usual self. He is fat and healthy. If 21 deg was stressing him in any way i would pull the temp down.

And the fridge is an old one. will wash it out and run it too see the temp this weekend.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back