Illness/Sickness: Sick larval tiger; white fungus?

ThatGuy

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there, I'm sorry for this to be my first post but I am in need of some information.

I have two larval tiger salamanders and am very new to owning these little guys. One of them seems perfectly fine, healthy as far as I can tell, but I noticed some white fuzz on the gills of the other, as well as a few spherical, almost pimple-looking things near the end of his tail...

Is there a tried and true method for curing these? Is there a danger of contagion to my other tiger? They both also seem to have little "hiccups" now and then, but I was thinking that was just a behavioral thing?

They both came from a local bait shop so I wasn't expecting them to be perfectly healthy. I just need to know how to take care of them if they are indeed sick, and had some trouble finding specific information for tiger salamanders. Will the salt baths I read about for axolotls work for tigers too?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 433
Hi, I'm pretty sure the treatments people use for axolotls will be ok to try on your larval tigers so it might be worth using the search function on the sick axolotl section. Fungus is often caused by stress brought on by poor water quality so I would test their water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate if you haven't done so already to make sure the aquarium is properly cycled. Hope this helps!

Thanks Chinadog, I'll look there.
I actually tested the water just yesterday (mostly just to see how it works) and it seemed fine, though I've only had the setup for a few days so I'd be surprised if ammonia had built up that quickly. I actually noticed the bumps on the tail the first day I had them, I just didn't think much of it until I noticed the white bits on the gills.

I have seen my newly morphed salamanders blow bubbles through where their gills used to be. one even makes gurgle noises. is this the hiccup behavior you are talking about?

No, it's usually just a quick open-shut mouth movement, occasionally with bubbles coming out. It seems to happen a lot for a couple minutes after eating, but my concern is when they do it and haven't been fed. Maybe just indigestion or something?

how are you putting oxygen into the water? not really related but fish will do that if they have low oxygen in the water. Could also be air swallowed with food or perhaps bacteria or parasites producing gasses which is what looks like air bubbles.

I have an electric pump connected to an airstone on one side of the tank. Haven't seen much of that behavior lately, though.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back