Question: New Axie, How to introduce?

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Jawdoss
Hi Everyone,
I am getting a new Axie tomorrow. The new axie is a female and i am very exited. The new one is about 2 years old. HOWEVER….. I already have an Axolotl, Wanita. I am not sure what sex Wanita is.

Does anyone know how i can determine the gender of Wanita?
How do i introduce my new Axie to Wanita?
Do Females fight, do males fight, what combination of female to males should i have?

Regards,
Jawdoss

Haha i see that your getting addicted to axies, welcome to the obsession!

Okay well if there is a size difference of more than 1" they shouldnt really be kept together, at least until theyre both grown up.

A male will literally have 'balls' under his tail where his butt is behind his back legs
male_cloaca2.jpg

And a female will more of less have a smooth underside.

Axolotls dont tend to fight but as they cant see very well they may 'snap' at another axolotl moving, thinking its food.
Just make sure they have at least one hide each so they can get away from each other and they should be okay.
There is no specific ratios for keeping axies, just the size matters, and of course having a big enough tank!

You should quarantine any new additions to your tank for a good month or so. This is just in case the new addition carries anything contagious.

Thanks! I will quarantine her for a couple of days (as she came out of a clean tank). and i will make sure i have another hiding hole. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back