Axolotl Keeps Swimming At The Top of The Tank

tnicholl95

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Display Name
Taylor N
Hi, I've had my axies for about 2 months now, Just recently one has started swimming at the top rarely surfacing. He does however surface after he is fed, but usually ends up back at the top by the end of the day. Is it that he just wants food or is excited that were in the room? He seems to follow us where ever we go. There is no substrate so it's not any problems relating to that. Does he have a bubble or something in his stomach. You're help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Taylor

If he can get to the bottom when he wants to it's not a problem - he just likes floating.

If he seems distressed and stuggling to sink he may well have air in his gut.
Is he floating level, or is his bum floating higher? Thats classic constipation, it should pass.
What do you feed him and how? If you are hand feeding at the surface he may well have swallowed some air.
If you are feeding him pellets he may have some trapped air too unless you soak them before feeding.

If he is distressed and wanting to sink you can put him in a tub and just cover him with water so his feet are on the ground until he passes whatever is making him float - usually a big poop that may well float!

What's your tank parameters like?

Ph, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate and temperature?
What do you feed and have you got any photos?

Sorry for all the questions but nobody can help unless we have some info.
:D

Thanks for the help auntiejude! I'm assuming he just likes to float because he is level. He also starts to float down and then swims back up :p It could be from feeding at the top because we do hand feed him frozen bloodworms. I'll get back with water parameters later in the day. I'm really more concerned about him getting caught in the output of my filter. I'll also attach some photos later today.

This can happen if you dont soak them first, just pop them in a bit of tank water for a couple of mins before you feed them and it should stop :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back