Airplane axolotls?

emmyk

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can you carry-on live amphibians? My speech may have to be presented in California at Stanford. I don't really trust them in cargo with my baby. Also, I know its illegal to own an axolotl in California, but can I bring him there for educational purposes?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Follow the link at the top of the sub forum, "import, transport and possess" without a permit puts what you describe firmly in the illegal category in my reading of the California law, so my advice is don't go near Stanford without a permit.

You may need also to check the legality of taking an axolotl to California.. I have a feeling they are illegal to own there, it may need checking out if you are wishing to take one as part of a demo.

Thank you

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

I briefly looked this up out of curiosity a while ago. The answer is technically yes, you can bring an axolotl through security and onto a plane as a carry-on, if the carrier allows it. A lot of college kids travel with their betta fish so this is a bit more common than you may think.

However, your biggest problem would be with TSA. From what I've gathered, they have to allow pets through security, they can't send pets through the x-ray, and fish are allowed exempt of liquid bans because if it's alive, the water isn't an explosive. That said, it will be a major ordeal and you'd probably want to demand a supervisor from the start to avoid an uninformed low-level agent. It would also be a good idea to state very clearly that you are traveling with your pet.

Having done a lot of air travel, I wouldn't even risk trying to fly with my axolotl because of the TSA. Personally I would ship her same-day or overnight if she absolutely needed to travel. Plus cooling your axolotl as a carry-on would need some logistical creativity.

As for sources, the TSA doesn't publish all their policies on their site for some reason.
There is an unconfirmed email conversation with the TSA regarding this policy here.

There is an exception to the 3-1-1 rule for live fish.* If the fish is alive and swimming in the liquid, then the liquid is not an explosive.* In addition, the container holding live fish may be larger than 3.4 ounces. *The fish must be swimming in water that is contained in a clear, plastic container that is spill proof.* This will allow the Transportation Security Officer to visually inspect the fish at the screening checkpoint.*
However, regardless of whether an item is on the prohibited or permitted items list, the Transportation Security Officers have discretion to prohibit an individual from carrying an item through the screening checkpoint or onboard an aircraft.* Therefore, Transportation Security Administration (TSA) security screening personnel make the final decision on whether to permit items like live fish into the secured area of the airport.*

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back