New Marbled mole salamanders!

EJgraydon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
EJ
Okay, so I have a friend who owns an excavation company and dug up these two little ones, and took them home. He didn't know how to take care of them so he asked me to take them. they are active, friendly, adorable and all, but I can't seem to get them to eat. I put them in a critter keeper with a couple of small crickets to no avail. any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated!
7yheje8u.jpg

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Re: New Marbeled mole salamanders!

when I have trouble with tiger sals eating (which is almost never) I use king meal worms and let the little legs of the meal worm tickle its face. if that doesn't get a feeding response, its not going to eat.

You could also try really small earthworms. Ones that wiggle a lot.

I agree smallish worms and I also add woodlice when I find any.

"Active and friendly"??? Are you sure they are opacum? ;)
Mine live under pieces of cork bark and they usually take a worm if it's placed in with them, the cork bark is put back and they are left alone with it. If you can get a large nightcrawler and cut it into segments, it won't crawl away even if they don't take it immediately. I would advise against feeding waxworms. They can cause impaction (it happened twice to my animals).

A wax worm can do the trick as well. I've had problems getting animals off wax worms though. They didn't want to eat anything else.

Update, there is some eating when I hold a dead cricket up to their face. My local exotics guy said that they're Stoll adjusting, but hunger is hunger, keep offering and they'll take it eventually

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

Why are you using dead crickets? Hold a live cricket by the tips of the back legs and hold in front of the animals head. Are you dusting/gut loading the crickets?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back