The most babies someone has raised from their eggs?

Anna F

Reaction score
Country
United States
Just curious but reading over this section of the forum, got me wondering. It sounds like they lay a LOT of eggs. What are the most you have ever raised from your eggs? Would you do it again? Overwhelmed or not?

Very first time: 13, second 10, third 0, last in process, the larger the better ;)
It seems I saw some people raising a HUGE number of babies each time to sell/give away.
But this question is interesting. I would also want to know how they do it for big numbers (fishroom?).
;)

I am only interested in working with between 10 and 20 eggs so as you mentioned, REALLY curious how people raise the larger numbers. That said, I am interested in anyone's experience with whatever numbers, what they have found to be "tried and true" methods, why they would or wouldn't do it again, etc.

Currently raising 165 or so. My first time. I have two other people help me with water changes.

165!! That's great! :) Why did you decide on that number or was it how many eggs you had? I KNOW feasbily if I ever have an axie that has eggs I will have to cull, but I think it would be extremely difficult for me to do.

Oh WOW. Now that is really something!!! She caught everything perfectly and so close. I THOROUGHLY enjoyed this thread, thanks so much for posting the link.:)

Yeah, it's sometimes a shame when things disappear to the back pages of forums. It documents their growth really well, and so many of her axolotls have gorgeous gills!

I'm actually testing one method that seems effective. I can't bear the BBS system anymore, so for my last spawn I only used frozen artemiae that I chopped (when I have the time, if not, I just put the ice cube in the container).
I noticed the beginning was hard but now, they are developing super fast.
I usually start the BBS for 1 week or so, then I introduce chopped brine shrimps.
This method is effective, and it has the added advantage of letting only the hardiest larvae to thrive.
Mortality is even not high
It's only natural selection, I see.
So now, they are probably three weeks old and the front limbs are completed, but my method is "the least concern, the better".
Water changes are of course needed in the beginning, but tend to be easier as they grow and eat more.

I know this method would be criticized, but f***, it's nature. I do not want to force it against its will.

Will

addendum: as a remark, introduce asap protein stuff (crushed pellets...), the sooner the better.

165!! That's great! :) Why did you decide on that number or was it how many eggs you had? I KNOW feasbily if I ever have an axie that has eggs I will have to cull, but I think it would be extremely difficult for me to do.

I just kept whatever hatched, I was encouraged to do it from some friends and my husband, I've got plenty of people helping which is awesome because I would not be able to do this all on my own, that's for sure!

That's really great! I appreciate you answering the questions and the best of luck with all of your wonderful axies. :)

I've raised just over 100 once before whilst also still growing some juveniles.
My favourite number to raise would be 15 ish.

Its nicer to 'know' the babies.

Mel

Well, as of yesterday I was being shipped 50 eggs....so we will see what happens there, survival of the trip and all of that!
I can't see myself culling BUT you never know.
And I agree, I like the idea of "knowing" what babies would hatch and smaller numbers would be easier for that.

Anna, how do the eggs look? Tracking says they were delivered yesterday morning, but I still haven't heard anything.

They are doing good and one hatched already!! I would have got back to you but they got here, I had to get them settled and then leave right away. I only got back a little while ago.
I am BEYOND happy!!!! :) :) :) My two juvies will be here this week too. :)

Just curious but reading over this section of the forum, got me wondering. It sounds like they lay a LOT of eggs. What are the most you have ever raised from your eggs? Would you do it again? Overwhelmed or not?

My first batch of eggs I raised 170 babies. I typically raise 100-200 per spawn since then. I don't think I'm typical. I have a large fish room and the axolotls are in a 900 gallon "pond" of their own. I've semi-automated the water changes and feedings so I can have several hundred babies of various ages growing out at the same time. I'm a retired engineer and I'm always finding ways to make things work better because it's just me taking care of my fish room and there are only so many hours in a day. But I love it!

Do you have any pictures of your set up? I think it sounds really interesting. I am jealous,lol!!

Do you have any pictures of your set up? I think it sounds really interesting. I am jealous,lol!!

I've been meaning to get some pictures. It's kind of difficult to get it all in one picture because the pond is 13-1/2 feet long (3 feet top to bottom and 3 feet front to back). I think I'll try to get some pics this weekend. It's not a "pretty" pond! Just a rectangular wooden box with pond liner in it. But it works great!

Function over beauty!! At least that is what I would prefer if I had to choose.:)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back