Hand feeding questions

Angi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Angi
Not sure if this is the right section but here goes:

So I am wondering how you guys hand feed your axies, I have 3 juvies and when I feed blood worms 1 of them doesn't want what's falling he/she comes right up and takes it from my fingers, the first time scared me and scared him/her but it was SO COOL to think about them taking the food from my fingers!

So what I'm really wondering is I have a sand bottom tank, I feed my 10" male live earthworms, how do you guys feed pellets? I was hoping to get a more varied diet into this guy but I don't want to just drop some bloodworms in there, or even the pellets for that matter, the last thing I want is him slurping up sand with his meal, even if it is safe for him - I'm not willing to test the impaction possibility.

So do you guys hold the pellets in your hands? between your fingers? Did you jump out of your skin the first time they bit you? (I've read it doesn't hurt but I can't help thinking that it's still gonna scare me half to death the first time!) Would all axies eat from your hands, or is it only depending on their personality? Cuz of 3 same-age babies only one comes up when it seems me near the bowl.

More than one question haha any answers would be greatly appreciated :eek:

I've just started hand feeding my little fella - hes around 3" (too young to be sexed so assuming hes a boy for now). It doesn't hurt at all when they bite your fingers, its more like a little newty kiss. They have no teeth. I do still flinch sometimes, but I promise it doesn't hurt.
I found just dropping to worms on the floor of the tank took him forever to eat, and then he'd only have half.
He's used to my fingers now, and i can wriggle them above his face to lure him to the feeding zone. The last 2 days, he's swam up and taken a big gob-full at once from my fingers. He even had his first pellet last night from my fingers.
Remember that axies have poor eyesight, so hand feeding (or rather, holding the food between 2 fingers- thumb and pointer) makes it easier to see and eat. They will come to associate fingers with food and they wont be scared of your fingers :)

Pellets are best fed from a feeding bowl or jar - it keeps the danger of sand ingestion down to a minimum. Hand feeding usually involves dropping the pellets in fromt of them - very messy in the long run.

If you want to hand feed then earthworms are best, and if your juvies are over 3" they should be OK with small ones. Bloodowrms can be fed from fingers too, you just dangle the food in front of the axie. But make sure you keep your nails clean, short and smooth, I accidentally injured one of my axie's lips with a long nail when they caught my finger.

Axie bites don't really hurt - they don't have teeth - but they can make you jump if you're not expecting it. Mine have had my finger up to my first joint (ambitious axies think fingers are nice big juicy worms!) and sometimes nip at the fleshy bit on the outside of my hand. One of mine tries to attack a tattoo on the inside of my wrist think it's a worm. The worst injury I've had is a tiny graze where one bit a knuckle and didn't want to let go.

Thanks for the info. I do hand feed the earthworms already, he knows when he sees my my hand. I guess I just thought maybe he should be getting some pellets as well. The feeding jar, now that's a brilliant idea... I may have to give that a whirl. Perhaps when my babies move in to something larger I'll start them on it ;)

I use reptile tweezers for worms and i use a turkey baster for pellets, just suck it on the edge of the baster and drop directly above their head. This means i can monitor how many they each eat and make sure none get hidden and affect my water quality :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back