How to switch to pellets from bloodworms

Angi

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Angi
So I have read a bit about switching juvies over to pellets from frozen blood worms and I am just wondering how exactly you do that, can't seem to find the info. Do you just switch one feeding to straight pellets or would you add pellets to the bloodworm feeding? I have tried adding pellets to the bloodworm feeding and they seem to just spit out the pellets (tho atm I am crushing the pellets so it's hard to say) I am just wondering what the best way to do this is. These guys are about 3" long and ready for pellets as far as I can tell.

Thanks for any info! :D

I use the small salmon pellets. I start my hatchlings on baby brine and step them up to blackworms and frozen bloodworms as they get bigger. When they are about 2" long I start adding whole 3/32" salmon pellets to their diet. I just feed less blackworms and bloodworms as I add a couple pellets. Eventually I get to a point where I am feeding mostly salmon pellets to the axolotls.
The small pellets can be used for juveniles and adults. I usually switch to 5/32" pellets when the axolotls are 3" to 4" long. Most of the axolotls growth will be in their first year. Start off feeding heavy when they are young and back off as they get larger.

I guess I should have asked before I ordered, these little guys are all already 3"+ perhaps I should have gotten the larger pellets, their mouths just look SO TINY! haha

small pellets are fine. If the animals are finicky they will start out easier on the small ones.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back