Natural Habitat

Scorpion

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Alexander
What is the natural habitat of the axolotl like? What I most want to know is what is the bottom of their home lake like? Does it consist of sand? Silt? Gravel? Large rocks? Solid rock? They probably live down deep where it's dark, so I don't imagine there'd be a lot of plants, but maybe I'm wrong. If there are, what are the plants like? Is the bottom made of sand and covered in lots of plants? Is it solid rock and covered in algae?

Hi! Axolotls live in lake xochimilco, which unfortunately there isn't much info on what its like. From what I hear its sand. It isn't super deep, but deep enough to be a canal. I'm sorry I can't help you more.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Here's a documentary showing their natural habitat, and, fascinatingly, some evidence of migration to another water source! It features Neil Baker, who has a menagerie of axolotls at home, but who wanted to see them in their natural habitat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYrhpWkYgEM

What an amazing documentary! Thank you so much for sharing... tears of joy when they found one, and during the release... beautiful! :angel:

Thanks Angi! I'm just glad to know that there are still a couple out there, and also that there are research centres doing something about their declining populations using wild stock!

EDIT: It's Nick Baker, sorry, not Neil. >.<

The video's not working for me. I think it was taken down... 'Tis alright, though. I believe I found it.

That's odd...I just click on the big Play button and it plays okay for me. But it's fairly easy to find on Youtube under 'Axolotl: Documentary about the Bizarre Mexican Salamander.' If that fails, look for Nick Baker's Weird Creatures: Axolotl. But that's only if you haven't found it already.
But long story short; it's muddy. Very muddy.

'Twas a grand documentary. Not what I expected their habitat to look like.

I enjoyed that documentary as well. It really puts things in perspective! The habitat wasn't what I expected either.

I am scouting out that documentary, because I have an enduring fondness for all the presenters of the Really Wild Show.

I went and watched the ones on Olms and Hellbenders too.

( And Basking Sharks and Frankenstein Fish and the Mimic Octopus and probably a couple of the others. )

He's got some great photos of his expeditions on his website, too.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back