Why won't my axolotls breed..

hannahll

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Hannah
This thread is a little bit out of jealousy but..
I got my boyfriend into axolotls and have ordered every single one he has, along with giving him a tank and decorations. He's obviously doing something right because today, his axolotl laid eggs.
I've been wanting this to happen to me for a year no just to try it out because i've read quite a bit about it and it sounds like fun :)
My female is over a year old now and my male is probably around 8 months old. I have seen my male nudging at his tank mate almost on a daily basis and nothin.
Can anyone tell me why she hasn't laid eggs yet? :(

Have you tried making the tank temp drop 5 Degrease Celsius? If you take a fair amount of water out of the TANK and freeze it, then drop it into the water and allow for the water temp to drop dramatically (5 degrease), they should spawn. (lay eggs and stuff like that). I was told this be an Axolotl breeder so its roughly along the same lines.

Maybe research about that?

8 months may not be old enough to breed.
You can't make them breed if they don't want to, just leave them alone and let nature decide.

Hmm... my tank is already around 60 degrees fahrenheit on a daily basis so i'm not sure colder would do anything.
However, i did read about temperature briefly... somewhere, and i'm wondering if increasing the temperature would be a be option.
I might do it unless anyone disagrees :p

8 months may not be old enough to breed.
You can't make them breed if they don't want to, just leave them alone and let nature decide.

I don't want to "make" them do anything.. just help them along :) lol.
But you're right.. maybe i should just let them be.. sigh..

Patience ;)

I suspect your male may not be quite mature yet. I would leave them be and see what happens in the New year . In the mean time, have a go at raising some of your boyfriends :)

Last edited:
Hmm... my tank is already around 60 degrees fahrenheit on a daily basis so i'm not sure colder would do anything.
However, i did read about temperature briefly... somewhere, and i'm wondering if increasing the temperature would be a be option.
I might do it unless anyone disagrees :p

Its not about the constant temperature, its about making a sudden change of temperature.

Patience ;)

I suspect your male may not be quite mature yet. I would leave them be and see what happens in the New year . In the mean time, have a go at raising some of your boyfriends :)

That is a good point. I'm just so jealous! My axolotls are much cuter anyway so it will be worth the wait :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back