Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Overwintering Temps/strategies discussion

Otterwoman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I want to overwinter two species in my fridge for a couple of months, T. sierrae and T. rivularis. The crisper drawers can be maintained at about 48 degrees F, but they are small and I can't fit a 'shoebox' sized box in them. The bottom shelf can be maintained at 42 degrees F, but I am afraid that is too cold. Is it? Also,should I not feed them before I overwinter them, and for how long? How small a container can I keep three or four animals in? How long do other people overwinter their animals for? How do you set up your containers (paper towel, dirt, and if dirt, how deep?) How often do you check on them and what do you look for? I would like to get various opinions on this and see what people do. Please feel free to add to the discussion no matter what species you work with. I'd also like to how people handle different species. I'm assuming people use tupperware-type containers with air holes, but if you use something else, please share! Thank you.

Jennewt

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't wintered any in the fridge, but I just want to put in my two cents worth for NOT starving them during their cold period. Neurergus still eat at near-freezing temperatures, and it seems counterproductive (for breeding) that some people don't feed them during this time. If it were me, I would at least offer them food occasionally and see what happens.

I would suggest taking the measurements of your crisper drawers and shop around for tupperware that would fit - larger than a deli cup, but smaller than a shoebox.

Hope you find a good solution!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1