Lethargic & mouth open

Cshbirdy

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have two axolotles in a 20 gallon long tank with a small filter and sand substrate. Axle Rose is acting normal and fine but Toothless is lethargic and is sitting with his mouth gaping open. I feed them bloodworms which they LOVE but Toothless hasnt eaten in days. he lost interest a few days ago, but then ate again, and had lost interest again.
was hanging in the top corner of the aquarium gulping air- and his breathing seemed labored. he moved to a back corner and was "sitting" on a decoration- like he was lounging. then he moved to under a branch- he stays in each of these positions for over 12 hours at a time.
I did a water change immediately when I saw him acting wierd- prob 75% and I added a bubbler.
but now its been three days and he is just sitting with his mouth open.
is he constipated? The only items in the tank are sand, snails, feeder fish, a branch, and a few plastic plants.
any advice would be appreciated.

Update- He jumped at the bloodworms I placed in front of his mouth, however, they just hung there. as if he is having trouble swallowing....

Hi,

What are your tank parameters? Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, pH and temperature?
Do you have any photos of him?
Also, what feeder fish are in the tank and do you quarantine them? Same with the snails, are they small or quite large?

I suspect he might have swallowed a snail or a feeder fish and its causing problems.
Can you see inside his mouth at all?
Do you have a picture so we could help you more?
How big are your axies? If theyre over 5" they should be eating earthworms as blood worms dont have enough nutrients to sustain an adult axie :(
They can be fed as a treat occasionally though :D

Ugh if he swallowed a snail, now what?
oK earthworms. got it.
here is a picture of him this morning. just bloodworms hanging out his mouth.
he hasnt moved from the spot under the branch in 24 hours.

I dont know if this is a fridge situation or a let it be situation or if he is doomed.....

Attachments

• get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment.aspx.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,772
I am a bit worried your bubby is impacted - there may be a chance that while eating the bloodworms he swallowed some sand, and that has now blocked up his gut - mouth hanging open and a refusal to eat are sometimes signs of this.

I personally would fridge him to give him a chance to poop the sand out. In the meantime, try feeding lots of earthworms (he may not eat them as he is colder in the fridge) but if he will take them they should soften his poops.

I would also say that getting him to a vet would be important too. If he's swallowed a snail or is impacted, the vet can offer help.

I hope he is feeling better soon :(

I tried to get a better picture- he was just floating on his side again- then went back down. is it a sign they are blocked if his legs are pointing backwords?

ok Im putting him in the fridge.
1. I was cleaning up the sand and bloodworms that were in his fridge container so I can tell if he vomits/poops and he tried to get the turkey baster! thats a good sign, right? But he wont be hungry in the fridge? try or try NOT to feed him while in there?
2. change the water daily? (with other fridge water) until ???? 3 days or until I see something in the container?

Im very nervous about him being in the fridge but I couldnt keep watching him suffer either....
thanks

Attachments

• get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg
    get-attachment-1.aspx.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 940
Last edited:
Here is a fridging guide.

http://www.caudata.org/forum/f46-be...ick-axolotl/85263-axolotl-fridging-guide.html

I would still offer him food while in the fridge. He may not eat it due to stress and a slower metabolism from being cold. But offering the earth worms cant hurt.

I'm not sure how long you have t keep him fridged. I would say a few days while you look for an impaction to pass. You should see what is blocking him come out with his poop. Sand, constipated mass, etc. Once he passes it you should be able to return him to his tank. If he doesn't pass it or his condition worsens, I would make a vet appointment.

Definetely keep feeding if he will take it - the food will soften his poops and help him to heal. It's also a good sign that he's snapping at the turkey baster, as it means he still has the snap capacity and potentially an appetite too!

His tub in the fridge needs to be water changed daily as there's no filter. I'd keep the new dechlorinated water in the fridge too, ready for water changes, and change it every morning or evening, whichever's easiest for you (also helps to suck up any poop or food you see in the tub as you go; the water change is to prevent chemical spikes).

And I'd definetely say if nothing gets better within a few days, consider a vet. Impaction can be complicated and a professional opinion would definetely help.

Day 1 in the fridge-
no change/discharge yet. nothing in the water except some sand and bloodworms that were in his mouth when I moved him in there (not thrown up).
A. I went in this evening to try to feed him a worm. he went for it twice but spit it out (again, not vomited) each time- not really trying hard to swallow it.
B. He was swimming around in circles- turning over almost trying to rub himself on something. there is no visible difference in appearance such as slime, shedding, fungus, etc.

Just changed him into the new water. removed the worm from the water. will try again tomorrow morning- and again when I change the water in the evening.

thanks for your help!

No problem - they sometimes won't eat in the fridge as their metabolism slows down. Not sure why he's going in circles as if he's trying to scratch himself - keep an eye out for any visible changes like redness. Also, what temp is the water he's in in the fridge? I'm sure it's fine but it's the only variable I can think of.

Day 2 Update-
the fridge temp is 40 degrees. Its as if he is bored in there! No visible change in the water- a few small black specs- possibly poop.
still swimming around when disturbed.
his mouth appears to be closed now.

will change water tomorrow morning--

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back