Holiday and a lotl-sitter

NexSocius

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Display Name
Nex Socius
I have to go away for 3 days, and in this time my mum will be dropping to care for Chernobyl.
My plan is to have 3 tubs set up before I go with aged dechlor'd water. On day 1, she can feed him in his tank, when he's done, carefully catch him and put him in the first tub.
Day 2, same thing, feed him, then move to tub 2. And repeat day 3. When I get home, while he's still out of the tank, I'll do a big water change (50%-60%?) / clean, and then return him to his home.

I'm just wondering, will she need to put some of the tank water in Tub 1 before she moves him or is he ok going straight into the aged water?

Another thing I haven't been able to find, is the usage of fish nets. I have a large 'fine' net for delicate fish. I wouldn't want to use it if it can harm him.

The reason for the musical tubs, is mum can't lift much and doing the water changes will be too hard for her. She also wouldn't be there long enough to de-poop the tank, which could be an issue (he poops 2 or 3 times a day).

So, would this be a safe option? I'd rather find out the right way than upset my boy. Any feedback is very welcome and appreciated. Thanks :happy:

Is your tank cycled? If it is you won't need the tubs, just do a water change as normal when you get back. He'll be fine without poop-scooping for a few days.
If your tank is not cycled your plan sounds fine, he should be OK as long as the temperature is equalised, no need for tank water..
Nets are generally OK, I catch my axies in a tub and transfer them by hand, but I guess an inexperienced sitter would probably be better with a net anyway.

Thanks so much auntiejude :) The tank isn't cycled yet, so tubs and net it is
*Breaths sigh of relief*
The things we do for our amphibian children :p

Whilst you tank is still cycling and he is in the tubs, ask your mum to add the old tub water (the one he has just been moved out of) to the main tank, because to keep your tank cycling, it will need an ammonia source :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back