Question: How much,how often

AxleB

Reaction score
Country
United States
I recently acquired my first axolotl (Axle) he is about 8" total length and is housed in a 55 gallon aquarium with large stones and sand a few large rocks, a boat, and some plastic plants he seems very happy water all tests good temp is good and stable seem to have no problems on that end what so ever I am just wanting some sort of feeding chart based on size I have been feeding him mainly pellets as its what he is used to but have been working him into worms and live food as I see it as more entertaining for both of us he is scared of anything being put in close to him so I just drop food in where he can see it fall or float and he watches it for a few and goes for it, but he doesn't seem to be able to catch a guppie he has had one swimming/hiding in his tank for a few days now, he goes after it every once in a while but loses interest once it swims away so I am still feeding him pellets and worms and some krill (which he loves) so he doesn't starve and wondering how many worms and how often i should give them to him and or if i can just leave him till he gets the fish

In my opinion, there really is no exact amount. It just depends on your axie and his appetite. I would suggest no more than two worms. But when it comes to pellets or whatever else, feed him until he doesn't eat anymore, then clean out the leftovers. Eventually, you will get a feel for what he can handle. I feed my axies every other day so they are good and hungry by feeding time :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for your insight, I just don't want him to go hungry, he does not seem to have any problems I feed him some twice everyday and he is used to that as he starts swimming around in the same spot as I feed him at those two times everyday:proud:

It's body should be the width of its head, if it's not feed him until he's about that thickness. If it's over the width if his head cut back. As long as you can maintain his weight in that head range it'll be fine. Mine stays constant with about 3 worms every two days. But every axolotls different - my worms could be enormous to your worms so just follow the head thickness guideline.

As for pellets mine says feed as much as they can eat in 30 seconds, twice a day. I personally don't follow that. I give him what he can eat in a 2 minute setting, once every 2 days with a worm if he's having a pellet day.

Thank you, so far I seem to be on track he looks healthy and all I just wanted to make sure not to over/under feed him

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back