Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fliter packed in !!

spud62

Reaction score
My filter has packed in and now using a small internal one which is to small for my 5ft tank. Could someone please recommend a good internal one with a spraybar as this is what i had before but found it wasn't much help " it was a 800 ", i used a shower puff to cut down the currant and would do the same with the new one, thank you in advance

Jawdoss

Reaction score
Try using hang on filters. They are easy to clean, and don't make such a sting current. They are fairly cheap.
If you want to buy one from a pet store, you will be paying a bit (WELL WORTH IT).
Or you can buy a hang on filter off ebay, (500l/h for $18.89). You can use two of these hang on filters, and diffuse the current with a an object in the water (Cave).

But the one from a pet store, will be better quality.

Another thing about having a hang on is that it doesn't get slimy and theres more room in the tank. They are a bit noisier though.
At the moment on my 450 Litre tank, i use a 400l/h hang on and a 500l/h hang on. :) Not much current, but filters a LOT of water for my size tank.

layna

Reaction score
Hey i see your from the uk too :D
Heat from the filter isnt really much of a problem for us as its not hot here haha!

I think fluval are a decent brand and what not but in all honesty i just bought my LFS own brand internal filter, it does 600l/ph and cost £19.99 all i did was swapped out the charcoal basket for some fluval ceramic noodles and it works fine :p

This is the brand i have, but this filter is for a 200L aquarium AquaManta Internal Filter IFX 200 - Fishkeeper

I honestly wouldnt worry and get too deep into filters as some people just use sponge filters and these are adequate enough so a filter with any more parts is a bonus.

These filters they come with a spray bar and you can also choose how fast you want the water to flow out with an adjustable valve :D

The only thing you want to consider with any internal filter is how long it is, if you have a long one (for big tanks) but your tank is only 1 foot high, it might not fit :O

spud62

Reaction score
Thank you so much for your replies, i cant use a hanging one with my tank. Anyway i am not a happy bunny !! Whilst i was out my Mrs ordered this one " Submersible Aquarium UV Sterilizer 720L/H 5w UV - All Pond Solutions " now i'm not sure about this one and its uv thing, so if anyone could tell me if its any use and if i should use the uv light" can be turned off " thank you, i love my axies " i know i'm a soft sod !! " and want the best for them

layna

Reaction score
When i first read the description i though it was just a uv light sterilizer but further down it does mention a sponge in the filter.

I suppose if the uv light is internal then it wont affect the axies, but if it shines bright out of it then it might be best to turn it off.
Apart from that it its a working internal filter, that hopefully does its job, so there is that as a bonus haha.

I would have personally opted for one with sponges and another department for ceramic noodles ect but if thats the one youve got thats the one youve got :p

At least she was being nice to you haha

snuggly time

Reaction score
Let us know how the new filter turns out, it seems to have some mixed reviews on amazon! I'm interested in whether the UV actually does anything.

I have a Fluval in my tropical tank and hate it! If I turn it off to clean or there's a power cut etc, it won't turn on unless is hit it really hard. When you move it all the dirt falls out of it too. So you saved a lot of time, effort and violence there. :p

SariYappa

Reaction score
Don't know if your dilemma has been solved, but I love my canister filter, it makes no noise, has a spray bar, doesn't need a sponge to deflect the water, and is strong enough for my 65 gallon... And you don't have to clean it but once every 3-4 months...
Eheim Classic Canister Filter with Media - 2213

I am in the US, so I don't know about conversions?

spud62

Reaction score
Well its in and doing a very good job, not using the UV light as i cant see the point to be honest, its very long so not for those with shallow tanks, i can only use it with one canister " comes with two but can be used with just the one " so i have a spare. Anyway as it comes in the box i would not recommend it as it is quite fierce even with my trusty shower puff ! but i kept the spray bar from my old one and it fits it well " still with shower puff on end " hardly any heat comes from it so happy there, all in all happy enough my axies are happy with it so that's all that matters:D. Thank you all for your help in this matter.

pondweed

Reaction score
@Jawdoss - We don't really use HOB filters in the UK. I found one by All Pond Solutions, and wasn't that impressed. The rest were pretty expensive and hard to come by. I've never seen any in pet shops…

I worried about the heat thing too when I was planning to get an axie. I ended up getting an Eheim Biopower because they're meant to be good at handling waste, and had heard good things about Eheim. It's pretty overpowered for my tank, but I haven't had any problems with it.

I also chose it because it only uses… 6w of energy. So it shouldn't heat up too much either. (Of course, now I have tropical fish and have a small heater, so I worried for nothing.)

I had a little Boyu aquarium fan for cooling.

pondweed

Reaction score
I didn't phrase that quite right, it would have been better to say: "I haven't had much experience of people using HOB filters in the UK" and was met by mystification when I asked for them in petshops. It's perfectly likely there are places that I didn't find that use them more. And there's no denying that if you disrupt the current, they're really good for Axies.

kitt

Reaction score
I use a tetratec ex700 external filter for my axolotls. I cant recomend it enough. I have the spray bar pointed towards the back wall of the tank.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1