Sarif and Helios are home!

vainglory

Reaction score
Country
United States
I ordered a couple of baby axolotls from Margie here. Both of my baby axolotls arrived fine. I put them in their new tank and I think they like it. I've had the tank up and running for about a month before and there's 10 ghost shrimp lurking about. Sarif, my leucistic, of course decided he was hungry so I feed them. Sarif was quick to eat and even let me hand feed him! Helios , my golden albino, decided he had to stalk the worms before eating them. The ghost shrimp like the worms too. I’m all excited they’re here safe and eating. Both are really cute, Sarif has nice little eyes, and Helios has really shiny golden flecks. I'm charging the camera to take pictures so those will be up in a while.

tumblr_mwn3a6Jao21rrok3zo1_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwn3a6Jao21rrok3zo6_1280.jpg

tumblr_mwn3a6Jao21rrok3zo7_500.jpg

Cute babies! I've got some coming soon too. Your tank looks nice:)

Cute babies! I've got some coming soon too. Your tank looks nice:)

Thank you! Most of it was bought just for them, but there were a few plants the goldfish outgrew. I hope yours arrive ok too. Be sure to post pictures

They're adorable! I just ordered some from Margie too(but on the monsterfishkeeper website) and I can't wait until they get here. They get sent out tomorrow and will be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm so excited!

What kind of sand did you use in your tank? I was leaning towards getting play sand but then someone told me that pool filter sand is better because it doesn't make the water cloudy. Your water doesn't look cloudy at all though and it doesn't look as lightly colored as the filter sand I was shown.

They're adorable! I just ordered some from Margie too(but on the monsterfishkeeper website) and I can't wait until they get here. They get sent out tomorrow and will be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm so excited!

What kind of sand did you use in your tank? I was leaning towards getting play sand but then someone told me that pool filter sand is better because it doesn't make the water cloudy. Your water doesn't look cloudy at all though and it doesn't look as lightly colored as the filter sand I was shown.

I have actually heard pool filter sand might be more dangerous because sometimes they have added chemicals! I'd do some research on that though because it may be a rumor. A little knowledge can't hurt though. I ended up picking a 50 pound bag of play sand up from Lowes. I did some very dedicated washing the first time around and it hardly clouded when I put it in the tank. What I did was thoroughly wash small amounts at a time and add it to the tank. I probably rinsed a quart or two at a time and spend a good 30 minutes on each if not more. I put it at the bottom of a 5 gallon bucket and filled it up, stirring then poured off the top. When I added water, I had a bowl in the tank that I poured into so the sand wouldn't get messed up. Its about an inch or so deep, if it is too deep, pockets can fill up with anaerobic bacteria that smell terrible. When ever I change the water, I give the sand a good stir.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back