Ph ISSUES

ChelseaRose

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I am stumped! My ph keeps dropping and I don't know why. I have a 20 gallon tank with 2 axolotls, both about 7 1/2 inches long. Am running two sponge filters set in low output and one airstone, also on low output. Ammonia is zero, nitrites are zero, nitrates are 5 ppm. Substrate is a very fine sand. I do a four gallon water change about every three or four days and stir the sand every few days as well.

About a month ago I noticed my lotls itching and also some black sand. When I checked my water parameters my ph had gone down a lot! It comes out of my tap at 7.6 and it was down to about 6. So I changed my substrate and everything has been fine. Until the other day. I noticed my ph was down to about 7. Other than that everything seemed fine. But today I caught one of my lotls itching and the ph is down to about 6.4. I have no idea where to begin :(

Any advice is much appreciated!! :)

Ps- I age my water for 24-48 hrs and dechlorinate using Prime if anyone is curious :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

What sand are you using?

Also do you have any rocks/stones in there?
Some will raise PH some will drop it, however some people just have low ph in their Water.
To raise it you need some bird grit (crushed oyster shell/ crushed coral) and a pair of skin coloured tights.
Simply Cut off the foot of the tights, put a good handful or so of grit inside the foot part, tie a knot in the end and pop it in the tank after a rinse. if after a couple of days it hasnt risen enough, add some more :D

Thanks for getting back Layna:) I am going to put some crushed coral in there today I'm wondering why the ph is dropping in the first place though ??

The only reasons i can personally think of is that there is some rocks/stones in there that may be affecting the PH, or that the sand may be affecting it.
Was it specific aquarium sand or play sand ect?

I also i think sometimes it does just drop, when my tank had first cycled my ph was below 6! I couldnt think of what was causing it and my LFS couldnt figure it out either so i just added the bird grit.

Doing a quick google i found this as a reason for it to drop;
Not sticking to a routine water change
not providing regular necessary filter maintenance
proper diet and feeding
correct temperature
correct salinity (in salt tanks)
healthy tank population

Hopefully someone with more knowledge may be able to help :D

No this is really helpful thank you! I am going to get another aquariam after Christmas so overstocking wont be an issue for sure. How often should I clean my sponge filters? I have them eating live black worms don't think that's the issue... Which leaves the sand. I have no rocks or anything in there so it would just be the sand. It's a wet sand with a dormant form of bb in it and water conditioners that the pet shop recommended. It is supposed to help with cycling. I can't remember the brand name. When I set up my next tank I think ill chose a different substrate. Any suggestions?

When you do a weekly water change, just squeeze the sponges out in a bucket of tank water you are removing from the tank :D

If you axies are 7 1/2 inches they should really be on earthworms now as black worms wont give them the nutrients they need :(

Im guessing the problem could be down to your 'special' sand, i think the lfs has just tried to sell sell sell.
Sand is absolutely fine as a substrate, but get childrens play sand instead of the pet shop aquarium options :D

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back