Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: High PH

melbell

Reaction score
I have searched and found many threads about high PH, and it seems that people say high is ok, as long as it's stable, but I didn't find any threads mentioning as high as mine.

My PH, from the tap, is 8.4...at least I think it is. The color doesn't exactly match anything on the card from my test kit (API Freshwater). It's a pinkier purple than either the 8.4 or the 8.8, but it's not as deep as the 8.8, so I'm calling it 8.4.

I don't have an axolotl yet, my tank is brand new and I haven't even started cycling it yet.

Is this PH going to be safe for the two axies I want to get?

Treagle

Reaction score
There are several ways to correct PH values.
Here are some of the things you could do.

1)Do water changes until the PH is correct with water that has opposing values.
(For example: use water with a low ph if yours is high, rain water for example)

2)Introduce something dead to the tank, as this lower PH and increases ammonia and so speeds up the cycle, giving it the 'food' for the cycle.

There are several more ways to help this problem, I just gave some examples.
Hope they help and the best of luck.

melbell

Reaction score
Thanks, but neither of those really seem like long term solutions.

Will the high PH harm the axolotls?

Margie

Reaction score
My tap water's pH is 8.3-8.4. I do flow-through filtration (water constantly changing), so my axolotls' tank is close to the same pH as the tap water. I don't have any issues with it. They spawn regularly and the babies grow like weeds. I don't think it's a problem.

auntiejude

Reaction score
If your tank isn't cycled you don't need to fuss over the pH yet.

High pH can be casued by any alkaline substance - ammonia and chlorine being the most obvious (most likely chlorine in tapwater). Cycle your tank and then check the water - the pH will remain high until you start getting nitrites and nitrates.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!