Help. axolotl tank burst

stephaniejo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So mydog was playing with her bone and flung it up in the air and it hit my 60l glass tank. The front panel shattered and you can imagine what happened with what was in the tank. So i ran to the kitchen and grabbed a pan and put my axie in there. All i could think of was putting him in one of those plastic storage containers so i put the water, sand and the filter into the storage container and put him in. Problem is the storage container is only 30cm x 35cm and has about 30l of water in it and my axie is 19cm. I dont get paid for another 3 weeks and im worried that the lack of space is going to stress him out. Is this a suitable home for him for the next 3 weeks? I really dont want him to die but cant buy another tank untill then. Any advice would be really appreciated

If you can get a larger plastic tub or a clean bucket it would be better, but as long as you have it in some kind of tub it's OK for the short term. You will need to change the water daily, as much as you can, as you can't keep a filter running in a tub.

You may also be able to pick up a cheap tank on ebay, craigslist, or a recycle/freecycle system locally.

Whereabouts are you? Perhaps someone close by has a spare tank you could borrow?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

DIY fish tank? Or you could get one of those big storage bins like someone said.

Yea thats what he is in now. Its like 30cm wide 35 cm long and 45 cm deep so ive put 30l of water in there but i was a bit concerned that he would be stressed out due to lack of space. I was frantic trying to find something for him to go inso he wouldnt die

You could get him a big steralite storage bin or something similar? I've heard of fishkeepers keeping some real monsters in them so your little lotl should do just fine in one. You can even put a sponge filter or something similar down into it to keep everything clean. The only difference is that you can't see into it the way you can see into a tank.

He won't be as stressed if you make sure he has a couple of hides, maybe add some stress coat to the water if you can find a suitible axie safe one.

I know you dont get paid yet but i got my two 3 foot tanks off facebook for around £10 each but i paid £5 for delivery to my door :D

You could try facebook, gumtree, ebay, amazon and freecycle for really cheap tanks.
Just make sure to place some sort of lid over the tub but leaving room for air to get in and he should be fine :D

Thanks everyone. I think im going to just try keep him as happy as possible untill i get paid. He has got his little house and a few plants in with him and he is eating very well so hopefully he can hold out for a few weeks :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back