Face palm

lovesheraxies

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My clutch is 24 days old, come up to my room where my Axies are to find my female has laid again. OMG, does it ever stop or should I just remove her from the tank altogether away from the boys? These eggs weren't there last night.

It can take a couple of days from an axie laying a spermatophore to the female laying the eggs, so if you dont want any more eggs, separate the female for a while and remove any spermatophores you see :D
This wont stop it forever the though, just give you a respite for a while.
Or you can just leave the eggs in the tank and the axies will just eat them.

Axies can lay eggs every 3 weeks or so if conditions are right. And that can be very draining for the female - she is at risk of exhaustion if you let her breed that often.

I would remove her. Axies tend to breed after a temperature change and change in daylight hours, I had eggs after the first cold snap of autumn. But the whole of winter seems to be breeding season, so she would do well to rest up for a couple of months.

Okay, I know "be careful what you wish for" BUT, at the moment I would like to have this problem. :)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back