Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Rather Cold Room

VegasMudd

Reaction score
The room in which I would like to have my tank for axolotls (my bedroom) when I get them is pretty cold during the winter, on average 60F (15.5C) for most of the winter but night drops are about 55F (12.7C). Is the day to night fluctuation so much it may stress an axie out? Also since my average temps for the day in the winter are what I have read to be in the lower comfort range of an axie should I try and raise the water temperature somehow? Lastly because of this should I try to find adults or when I am ready? I am planning on setting up either a 55 gallon or a 75 gallon as I have both empty currently. Thanks for any and all help.

auntiejude

Reaction score
That temperature range should be fine. Axies can tolerate a small fluctuation without too much trouble as long as the change is gradual e.g. day/night changes. What they can't cope with is being taken from a cold to a warm environment (or vice versa) suddenly, such as taking one out of the fridge at 8C and dumping it straight into a tank at 20C.

Small axies - juveniles - are hardy and will be fine with those temperatures too.

You don't need to heat your tank - people have been known to keep axies outside even when there is a little ice on top of the tank without too much trouble.

But how hot does it get in the summer? I would be more worried about summer heat spikes than winter chills in your part of the USA.

Kaysie

Site Contributor
Reaction score
My herp room has a day time high of 50 with dips into the 40's at night right now. Your little dude should be fine.

VegasMudd

Reaction score
Thanks! It does get randomly warm in my area but another reason I chose my room is it is the only room with an air conditioner because I cannot sleep on the heat and also my dogs stay in the room in the ac while I am at work or school. Glad to hear about even colder rooms than mine, I think the coldest it has ever been was 50 at night so that really does ease my mind a lot.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!