Eggs - movement and hatching

AxieNewbie

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have some axie eggs at the moment, about 8 days old now, one has started twitching now and again. Can anyone tell me when they will start moving more often and when they are likely to hatch please?

Thanks

I think they hatch between 21 and 28 days but im not certain, i think it depends on water temp ect.
They will sometimes move in the egg but at 8 days they wont be ready to hatch yet :D

Mine hatched on days 10-13. I kept them between 65-67 degrees. I was really surprised by how quickly they hatched....it was only a few days after the twitching began.

Twitching genreally starts after a week. Hatching is usually considered to happen 14-21 days after laying if kept a room tempertaure (20C) or longer if kept cooler - up to 28 days.

Mine hatched at 12-17 days for the ones I had indoors, and 20-22 days for the ones I kept outside.

Great thanks all!!! So im looking at the end of this week to beginnning of next week then possibly, maybe a little longer. Great!

i have BBS eggs ready, im now just confused about feeding those to the hatchlings as have received some conflicting advice!! Some say the unhatched eggs float, others say the hatched eggs float, so how do i know where to get the eggs out from and how then do i rinse them? and also when would you advise i set up the BBS hatching system to get them to hatch as i dont want them dying before the babies hatch etc??

Please help!!

Thanks!

I usually set up my BBS thingy the day the axies hatch. They won't eat BBS or anything else the first day or two. They have their egg yolk (or something) they prefer. 1,5 days after the axies hatch I have fresh BBS ready and they won't be hungry.
I used a bottle and airstone set up. But I always got egg shells in my BBS 'tap' and it messes up my axie tubs. Now I use those BBS hatching 'disks'. Don't know the right name but you have to fill them with water (oh really, Morrison?) and it has a ring inside. You have to put the eggs in the outer ring and put the lid back on and wait for about 24-36 hours. In the middle of the lid there's a hole, the hatched BBS swim towards the light and you can scoop them out with a little net. No airstone needed. And no BBS mixed with eggness. :)

http://www.aquaforum.nl/gallery/upload/riba_0_7_dsc03861.jpg

With the lid:
http://www.reef-center.nl/webshop/images/Hobby Kweekschaal1.jpg

Here's what it's like. But I love them!

Morrison, where did you find this bbs hatching disk? I've never seen such a thing! Sounds very convenient...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a turkey baster to collect the free swimming bbs from the middle and drop the liquid through a hankie draped over a jug so that the BBS collect as a pink mass on the hanky and this is swished in clean water and put in with the axies. They will probably not be ready to eat for a day or two while they absorb their yolks. If the BBS are hatched using a heater they will hatch in a day/ day and a half. So could be started the day the first axis hatches to be ready when needed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I use "artemia revolution decapsulated eggs" - no need to worry about shells then. Expensive, but worth it in the long run. I keep my hatcheries in a seedling warmer with a tea towel over the top to prevent splashes and keep the heat in.

But if using dry eggs you need to collect the live BBS from the centre of your column - unhatched eggs sink, empty egg shells float, and you don't want to feed either to your babies.

So if I got De-capped BBS, does that mean there's no shells to worry about? Just scoop the moving ones, clean them up in fresh water, and feed?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back