Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question: Tail wagging

axolotllove

Reaction score
I've had my melanoid GFP since I think April.(Thank you Michael Shrom for such a gorgeous lotl with a personality that is larger than life.)

First of all, we call her Cera, but we're not sure of the gender.A few days ago Cera started wagging her tail and looked like she may have grew a pair...:confused: Now Cera has always been my tiny dancer and so engaging, not to mention the most agressive eater.(She always insists that she get her worm first.) So this week, she has only eaten one worm yet she seems to be begging for food and then refuses her worm when offered. The tail wagging a few days ago was adorable, but somewhat odd because I had never seen her move quite like that way before and it only lasted one day. We assumed Cera is a girl because compared to our other two lotls Cera is really plump and round. We are nothing even sure of the sex of our other two, but their bodies and tails are longer and leaner.

If someone could interpret the sudden finicky eating and tail wagging that would be greatly appreciated. :D

Posting pictures of Cera in a couple of minutes.

axolotllove

Reaction score
Okay. Here they are. Sorry about the flash.

Attachments

• Attachments_20131126.zip
    5 MB · Views: 131
  • 20131120_065902.jpg
    20131120_065902.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 240

axolotllove

Reaction score
Ok. Here's the rest.

Attachments

• 20131120_065637.jpg
    20131120_065637.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 303
  • 20131120_065420.jpg
    20131120_065420.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 227
  • 20131120_065854.jpg
    20131120_065854.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 246

auntiejude

Reaction score
Sounds like constipation to me. They sometimes get a bit of swelling in the cloaca when they get a build up of pressure, and sometimes go off their food. It should pass on it's own.

Just keep offering food, and look out for large poops!

axolotllove

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. Their tank has been "cleaner" than usual.
Can you tell if Cera is indeed a girl?

Petersgirl

Reaction score
I'm estimating that she's around 7 months old or thereabouts, so I would tenatively guess you have a beautiful, plump, happy girl (but be on the watch for any growth - Cera might become Ciaran overnight!)

They have been known to suddenly surprise their owners with maleness as late as 15 months :eek:

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1