Bum up?

vainglory

Reaction score
Country
United States
I got 2 new little axies last week and my white one Sarif looks like he (I call him he for now) can't rest his back legs on the sand. He's still pooping and catching worms and stuff, and I think it might just be from his legs still growing but I want to be on the safe side.

I'll post the parameters later and try to get a picture with the nicer camera.

Sand bottom tank, no little pebbles, just 2 large river rocks that are way bigger than he is. There's some ghost shrimp in there, but Sarif is only about 2 inches long. They eat live black worms everyday, I wash them off and everything.

His friend Helios is a larger golden albino and Helios has no trouble walking around or swimming and his feet all rest on the ground. They're separated in a 20 gal long so I know they're not biting each other.

It seems little Sarif may be a bit constipated or windy. Also, are you sure he's not eating any of the sand? It can cause their bottoms to float if sand is blocking up their insides.

Floaty-bum-syndrome strikes again!

Constipation is the usual cause, it should pass on it's own once he poops.

tumblr_mwy5o352TP1rrok3zo1_1280.jpg

Floaty bum indeed!

I hope its constipation.

Temp: 70 (It was like 68 but I had my arm in there for an hour making sure Mr. Floaty bum was eating)
Ph: 7.8
ammonia: .30 wow where did that come from it was like .05 earlier, must have been all of the poo I cleaned up today
nitrate and nitrites were zero or really close to it.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back