Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

What plants work well in a lotl tank?

zombieaddict

Reaction score
I want to put a lot of plants in my tank and had intended to use trimmings of the ones I have growing in my existing tank. Then it occurred to me that plants in a heated tank might not do so well in a considerably more frigid one.

So my question is this: What aquatic plants stand up to the cold well? I would like to have a variety including something to use as a carpeting and something floating. Then of course there's everything in between. I'd rather hear advice from people speaking with experience than figure it out through trial and error.

auntiejude

Reaction score
There is a whole list on hee somewhere of plants that do well in axie tanks - suitable for low light and cool water. Try a search or wait for me to find it and ppost a link!

layna

Reaction score
Anubias Nana
Anubias Isabelle
Anubias Barteri
Java Fern
Java Moss
Moss (in general)
Lilaeopsis
Eleocharis (Hairgrass)
Congensis
Riccia
Narrow Chain Sword
Elodea
Hornwart
Water soldier
Marimo moss balls

As long as it does well in low light, and is freshwater it should be okay :)

ktolentino18

Reaction score
I prefer anubias, java fern, and amazon swords. I got rid of all the rest of my plants especially hornwort because hornwort was shedding all over the place. very unsightly.

Water lettuce is pretty for floating.

sde

Reaction score
There is a whole list on hee somewhere of plants that do well in axie tanks - suitable for low light and cool water. Try a search or wait for me to find it and ppost a link!

Was it this?

At the moment I have :-
Cryptocoryne becketti
Vallisnaria gigantean
Eleocharis parvula
Hygrophla difformis
Elodia densa
Rotala rotundifolium
Pisita stratiotes
Aponogenton natans
Microsorum ptteropus
Taxiphiyllum barberi
All these are doing very well in my C pyrrhogaster aquarium at room temperature in the UK (60f at the moment) so should be fine in a coldwater tank. I'd say they're slower growing at this time of year but seem to be fine otherwise!

Not the same as the list that layna posted, with the list that layna and I posted and others mentioned there should be plenty to choose from. Hope this helps! :D. -Seth

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!