Blue belly axolotl

TunaMuffin

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello I'm new here and just recently got my first axolotl from my university. He's a small white axolotl his gills have been torn by his tank mates. I've set up his tank with blue sand and some fake grass and rocks. I've noticed since i got him he hasn't been eating his food he just ignores it. I noticed that his belly area is blue i assume that hes been eating the sand. Will he be able to pass it through? I have him in a travel tank right now with nothing inside it i hope that he can expel the sand in there while im at home.

Can you see the sand inside his stomach (as a dark blue 'blob' in his body) or is it actually on the outside of his belly, on his skin?

If it is actually inside his tummy, he may be impacted. You will need to remove the sand from his old tank if you haven't done so already to stop him swallowing it again. Also, how big are the rocks? They can swallow them if they aren't much bigger than or smaller than their heads.

What I would do is to keep him in the travel tank or tub, 100% water changed daily if it hasn't got a filter system. He may be able to pass the sand if you carry on trying to feed him, as this will help him to pass it. If he hasn't passed anything in the next 48 hours or so you may need to consider fridging if he doesn't pass it on his own. There is a Sticky on this thread for that.
If it's on the outside of his tummy it may be dye from the sand. I'm not quite sure what you could do in that circumstance except let it fade on its own.

I hope he's okay :)

The sand is inside of his belly, and the rocks are way too big for him to eat. I never tried putting him in the fridge how cold does it have to be?

You say your axies is little, how little exactly?
Small axies <5" shouldnt be on sand yet as if they ingest it, they cant pass it through as easily as they are little the sand pieces are bigger in their body than in an adult axie.
What are you trying the feed him?

Is it defiantly sand, or very small gravel pieces, what was it called?
If your going to put your axie in the fridge, dont let it get colder than say 5-6C and put a towel over him so the light going on and of doesnt bother him.
Another thing with the fridge, is if hes going in there, hes going in there, dont put him in and out everyday as the constant temp changes can upset them.
Have two tubs ready and in the fridge, put your axie in one tub and then once a day swap him to the clean tub so you can scrub out the old tub :D

If it's a white axolotl you're probably seeing it's liver through the skin - bluish purple more obvious down one side that the other, and possibly some other organs. This is normal. If it is definateltly the blue of the sand you will just have to let nature take it's course. Sand is not suitable for small axies, I suggest you remove it.

He's about 6 inches and the professor gave me what i believe is salmon pellets. I dont have the best picture of his belly but i took one while cleaning his tank. But the sand is called marine sand its very fine and there is no gravel in the tank. He hasn't eaten anything for a couple of days which makes me really worry.

Attachments

• CAM00156.jpg
    CAM00156.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 52,120
Auntiejude made a good point about perhaps it being his organs, but I really think that blob is too large to be his organs. The photo did help a lot! :)

I think you'll need to go the fridge route - use the Sticky for advice. Also, if you do use the fridge, please be sure to place a bottle of dechlorinated water in the fridge with him to use for water changes - it will prevent any temperature shock. You can place a thermometer inside his tub to make sure it doesn't fall below 5 degrees.

The fridge will prevent your baby from further digesting the sand, and give him time to poop it out. Continue to try and feed him, but he may not take it as he will be colder, which slows down his metabolism. Any food he does get into him will help him to expel the sand more easily (like you eating enough food to ensure your gut stays healthy).

Good luck with him! No offence but I do think that sand needs to be removed. It's your choice ultimately but it does appear to be causing him problems.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back