Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Axolotl Egg Advice

Lexolotl

Reaction score
My female axolotl laid about 200 or so eggs yesterday. I plan to keep about a dozen or so and sell the rest of the eggs that are viable.

I have my parent axolotls in a 55 gallon aquarium. She laid all of the eggs in a big plant that I keep in the aquarium. I took a tank separator and moved the plant to the separated side near one of the outputs to make sure they're getting enough circulation. The input is on the other side of the separator to make sure they don't get sucked in somehow. I'll try to post a picture later on today of the set up.

I planned on keeping the eggs on the separated side of the aquarium until the eggs hatched, and then wanted to move them to separate tubs.

I just wanted to make sure that this is an adequate option, as I don't have a separate tank to keep the eggs in at the moment. Any opinions will be greatly appreciated!

auntiejude

Reaction score
You can move the eggs now - they will be fine in a tub as they don't need circulating water, just water changes every few days. You can use any plastic or glass container - even a bucket will do for now.

Baby axies will probably find a way round your divider and could get eaten, I wouldn't wait until they hatch.

But are you sure she's finished laying? I had 200 the first day, another 300 the next and a few more after that.

Lexolotl

Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that I can put them in plastic containers right away! That certainly makes it easier to keep track of!

She probably laid more than that. I noticed the eggs when I went to go feed them and saw my male axolotl looking extra chubby. Which makes me think that he ate several of them. So far I haven't noticed anymore eggs, and she's gone back to be super skinny. I will definitely keep a look out though since you've said that yours has laid more!

Here's a few pictures of what I have it set up as for the moment.

Attachments

• 2013-11-29_11-00-18_777.jpg
    2013-11-29_11-00-18_777.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 313
  • 2013-11-29_11-00-33_737.jpg
    2013-11-29_11-00-33_737.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 340

usafaux2004

Reaction score
My girl laid about 100 eggs from 9-11pm on the 27th to about 6pm on the 28th. Most in the first 12 hours. She stopped after that and I didn't see any additions today in the morning. I know there info out there that it can be from 100 to 1000, but I'm glad my young girl only did 100 or so.
You can move the eggs now - they will be fine in a tub as they don't need circulating water, just water changes every few days. You can use any plastic or glass container - even a bucket will do for now.

Baby axies will probably find a way round your divider and could get eaten, I wouldn't wait until they hatch.

But are you sure she's finished laying? I had 200 the first day, another 300 the next and a few more after that.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1