Water Changes - How To?

usafaux2004

Reaction score
Country
United States
Curious on the frequency of water changes for the eggs, and how to do it well. Same applies for after they hatch. How do you do the water changes? Help a noob out!

You don't need to change much water for eggs. You can either use a turkey baster to remove water then replace it, or you can transfer the eggs to a clean tub. I only did one water change with my eggs at about a week.
Once the babies hatch its at least once a day, if not twice. I found it easier to move the babies to a clean tub than toclean around them.

you can use a net that has tiny holes in to scoop them up and move them to their new tub, or you could use your hand.
I used a measuring spoon thing that held like 10ml or something and scooped them individually :D

you can use a net that has tiny holes in to scoop them up and move them to their new tub, or you could use your hand.
I used a measuring spoon thing that held like 10ml or something and scooped them individually :D

OK, so that won't hurt them at that stage? I was worried about moving them out of the water.

Well if the tubs are next to each other it will be only a few seconds, Just make sure your net (if your using one) is practically solid the holes are so little, or they might get their gills ect caught :(

I used a brineshrimp net to start with. But the little b*ggers are so quick it's hard to catch the babies. Eggs you can just pick up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back