Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Question about new hatchlings

Brian121090

Reaction score
I am anticipating some babies soon. Will the larvae eat cut live bloodworms from the get go? Also how many daphniawould be needed to feed around 10-12babies.

Thanks you

Lexolotl

Reaction score
You would have to cut the blood worms up really small in order it to fit in their mouths.
I would personally rather just hatch some baby brine shrimp.

auntiejude

Reaction score
Daphnia are too big for newly hatched axies. You really need BBS for the first 2 weeks.
They eat a lot, 300 daphnia will not be enough for a starter culture. I started with 1000 and have run out several times (with 20 babies).

They need to be 30mm+ to feed on chopped bloodworm, their mouths aren't big enough until then. I now have 16 larvae at 40-55mm, they get through 4-6 cubes of frozen bloodworm a day between them.

Brian121090

Reaction score
Daphnia are too big for newly hatched axies. You really need BBS for the first 2 weeks.
They eat a lot, 300 daphnia will not be enough for a starter culture. I started with 1000 and have run out several times (with 20 babies).

They need to be 30mm+ to feed on chopped bloodworm, their mouths aren't big enough until then. I now have 16 larvae at 40-55mm, they get through 4-6 cubes of frozen bloodworm a day between them.

Even Moina?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!